Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
addict
addict
R
no sense is speaking double-dutch

common in UK too. Presumably derives from one's tongue rotating in two opposite directions simultaneously?
Other "Dutch" phrases include: (and yes I know some have appeared in odd posts over the last few months, not aware of a collection. If so - sorry)

My old Dutch
Dutch cap
Going Dutch
Dutch Courage
Dutch door
Dutch auction
Dutch concert
Rod

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The only reference I have for "double dutch" is a jump rope game-- you double the rope- and have two seperate lines (commonly, you'd run the rope behind your back) Your left arm turns the rope clockwise, and your right arm, counter clockwise--

It harder to jump with two ropes, and the "jump rope song" are faster-- It used to be a real big thing in NYC-- (and it tended to follow ethnic lines-- Black girls where always the best-- followed by white girls, black boys, and almost never competing, white boys.) Back in february or so, there was a world championship double dutch contest-- and for the second year in a row, the team from japan won.

the japanese teams tend to be older (college age) and semi professional-- they are attending a sports university and can take courses in double dutch! Most of the other contestants where from US cities.. (and i think mostly east coast cities at that..)

On the main thread topic-- i have never heard "seperating the english from the dutch"--- wheat from chaff, yes.men from boys, yes.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<My shot-in-the-dark guess is it has something to do with New Amsterdam's change to New York - from Dutch to English control.>>

I second that. Probably from just before the conquest.

Is there a parallel expression: "separate the flatlanders from the green mountain boys"?

R
R
I've never heard of 'separating the english from the dutch' either.

Apart from anything else, in my situation it could be a rather painful experience, as I'm distinctly half and half!

R
addict
addict
R
"double dutch" is a jump rope game

hence my reference to rotating of the tongue. Recently I saw Cirque de Soleil with their Quidam (sp?) production. One of the acts in that consisted of incredibly complicated jump-rope ("skipping" in UK). People skipping with their own rope over multiple other ropes, all in time to music. That was great as was the rest of the show.

Rod

#28816 05/11/01 02:14 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
jump-rope ("skipping" in UK).

Growing up in NorthEast we said we were "playing jump rope"
for the game. Skipping rope was the action itself.
Skipping also means the individual act of sort of bouncing along on the toes... a kind of exaggerated happy walk ...
There is a New Englander I saw on a local TV show who skips for his daily "walk" and promotes it actively as a great form of excercise, more fun than boring old strolling and jogging.
It's hard to skip without smiling!
Now that's a recommendation. Has anyone else noticed how grim runners look?
And do any of those walkers who have "Walkmen" radios plugged in their ears EVER listen to anything happy? They all look rather glum.
Only semi-animated walkers/runners are those accompanied by a friend!
Thoughts?
wow

#28817 05/11/01 02:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And all the jump rope songs? Strawberry shortcake! and so many others.. they started out slowly and each round became faster and faster, and the "turners" kept rhythm to the song?

and skip walking? every seventh step was a skip-- so a neat line of girls in their uniforms, (ours where blue jumpers (american jumpers) a sleeveless navy wool serge, with a fitted top, and 6 gore skirt, worn with a white peter pan blouse, and a blue bow tie) walking down the street-- only ever seventh step we take a skip-- and giggle-- not at all the effect the nuns were hoping for!

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
BY, this Michiganian is unfamiliar with separating the Dutch from the English. Around here, both separating the men from the boys and the wheat from the chaff are used.

#28819 05/11/01 02:50 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Skipping also means cutting class. We never call it cutting class here - I associate that with USn TV shows.

#28820 05/11/01 03:32 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Skipping also means cutting class. We never call it cutting class here

We used "skipping" class too. Cutting class seems to have morphed into use during the 1950s - '60s.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith