#27508 04/27/01 06:59 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#27509 04/27/01 07:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Plaza, Square , Terrace are all parts of addresses-- as where all of the names i gave before-- Unlike trail-- there is no mailing address at 123 indian trail... but there 123 Park Plaza, Mew, square, Parkway, ect.....and Slip.

Old piers, that have been filled in, and are now streets have the name of slip, as in "Old Slip" and the World Trade Center just has 1 to 10 WTC.

and Viaduct-- in NY you could live one of several viaducts the most well known is a major road into JFK airport-- the North and South Viaduct-- the roads act as Parkway service roads (parkway do not allow trucks) but the go miles past the airport in either direction, and pass through residential areas.

But Aquaduct-- (a street on top of the #1 water main from the first large reservoir-- is an avenue Aquaduct Avenue)

and finally--Row-- Park Row-- is the address fo NYCityhall...

#27510 04/27/01 07:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ponder won the Kentucky Derby in 1949. (Just tossing in a miscellaneous tidbit, humming the tune of Shady Grove.)
I think some places are Walks.
Louisville doubles up on two numbered trafficways, just to be sure, maybe: we have Third Street Road and Seventh Street Road. Both of these are more-or-less continuations of 3rd. St. and 7th. St. respectively, once they cross out of the city limits.

One of the greatest on-the-spot puns I've ever heard relates to a motorway. Some of us in my high school orchestra were helping a high school across town with their
production of 'The King and I', and we car-pooled. My house was closest to the expressway, so I was the last one
picked up. As I squeezed into the back seat, I asked, "Are
we taking the X-way?" My goofy friend said, "No, let's take the Y-way." Somebody else had to chime in with, "Why not the Z-way?" At this point, the driver quite understandably said, "Why don't you all go A-WAY?"

#27511 04/27/01 07:35 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
There are still a number of thoroughfares still carrying two hundred year old name ending in "Trail".

#27512 04/27/01 07:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If there were ever any trail's in NY, they are long gone-- but curiously, "Stone Street" retains its name-- it used to be breower--(unsure of the old dutch spelling-- brewers street) and one mayor attempt to "clean up the city" promised to do something about it... So the brewers got to gether, and paved the street-- Stone street was the first "cobbled stone" street in NY.. and was renamed to "Stone Street" -- and the brewers loved the increase traffic!
all in the late 1600's.. (even then NY mayors were trying to "clean up the city"-- the old alderman must be rolling in their graves to see what goes on now!)

#27513 04/27/01 08:10 PM
H
addict
addict
H
Than, finally, we have a uniquely named street: The Alameda

In the Bay Area we have lots of Alamedas - also used on its own, never as "Alameda Street." I believe it comes from "alamo," the Spanish for poplar, and connotes a broad, tree-lined boulevard. The oddest of the lot is a major road on the peninsula south of San Francisco - it's called Alameda de las Pulgas. I'm always surprised how few people know that the name means "Poplar-lined boulevard of the fleas."

#27514 04/27/01 08:28 PM
J
stranger
stranger
J
I happen to live on a "Circle," which, as is often the case, is not a circle at all. It's actually a semicircle, a half-moon if you will (imagine a spur off the main road that's shaped like a half-moon). A "Court" in my neck of the woods is, in effect, a circle, since it usually approximates a full moon (or, better, a lollipop...there's usually a straight-away off the main road which leads to the circle, and the whole thing is called a "Court"). "Streets" and "Roads" are generally "secondary" thoroughfares, which means that they (ostensibly) carry less traffic. "Avenues" and "Boulevards" by and large are "primary" thoroughfares with traffic aplenty and multiple lanes in either direction. Of course, there are "Streets" and "Roads" that boast scads of traffic and lanes galore (see, e.g., "Main Street" or "Boston Post Road") and "Avenues" and "Boulevards" that consist of only two lanes and carry little traffic on a daily basis, but these appear to be exceptions to the rule.

As for additional thoroughfare denominations, in my neck of the woods we have "Ridge", as in "Long Ridge," "Hill," as in, "Strawberry Hill" or "Chapel Hill," and "Park," as in "Union Park." For whatever reason, my burg's founding fathers and mothers saw fit not to add "Road," "Street," "Drive," etc. to these denominations, as is the standard practice. This has created, somewhat confusingly, a situation where you can have both "Long Ridge" and "Long Ridge Road," or "Strawberry Hill" and "Strawberry Hill Drive." I suspect that mail carriers and flower deliverers, among others, are none too appreciative of this disjointed system of thoroughfare-naming.

John

#27515 04/27/01 08:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Queens has an Alameda-- but its an Avenue-- but it is lovely poplar lined street-- with a narrow dividing strip in the middle that home owns keep planted and mowed.

and unlike Louisvilles "street Roads"-- Queens is notorious for 23 Street, followed by 23 Avenue, 23 Place, 23 Road, followed by 26 Street., Avenue, Road... and some how 24th and 25th have been lost!--

House numbers are supposed to give a "clue" my house number is 249-26 where 249 is the cross street. Only 249th Street (or road, or anything) doesn't exist!-the "cross street" is a named Parkway* and 36 is the lot number ---

* and Parkway can often be many things.. Grand Centeral Parkway is almost a highway-- (but it does have house on the "service road") Pelham Parkway --is joy-- it does have 12 lanes of traffic-- a 3 lane "service road" with 1 lane filled with parked cars, and 3 lane "express" area, with no parking.(in each direction) . but the median strips between the roadways are wider than the roadways.. (is is almost 1/2 mile from 1 side to the other!) and the median strips have huge trees-- that create boweries.. But Marathon Parkway--my cross street looks like an ordinary Avenue..not particulary wide, or tree lined or anything special!

#27516 04/28/01 05:48 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The famous circle in Paris is Place de l'Etoile. I have fond memories of driving around it, not at rush hour thank God.

A friend of mine described the situation where some drunken Australians on their big OE (overseas experience trip) crossed the Place de l'Etoile during rush hour. They all survived. The luck of the descendants of convicts, I expect.

Gdouttahere, ya pomaphile! There are several groves in Havelock Nth, doncha know?

Havelock where? Sorry, not on any map that I have. Isn't it a suburb of Hastings which is nearly a suburb of Napier? Pretentious place ...

BTW you mentioned that a Pom was coming to Zild. Anyone on the Board?

And what's with the US'n habit of numbering streets, anyway? Makes it real easy for foreigners like me - if you can count - but, miGawd, how banal! Why don't you give them interesting names like Bill Clinton Avenue or Devine Brown Road or Hugh Heffner Tollway?

And it's nice to see you US'ns spelling it "thoroughfare" rather than "thrufare", which I saw in some publication or other some time ago. Oh, that's right, Time Magazine. [/rant]

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#27517 04/28/01 08:37 AM
R
R
>And what's with the US'n habit of numbering streets, anyway? Makes it real easy for foreigners like me - if you can count - but, miGawd, how banal! Why don't you give them interesting names like Bill Clinton Avenue or Devine Brown Road or Hugh Heffner Tollway?

In Western Canada there are a lot of numbered thoroughfares as well. One of its biggest virtues, as you pointed out, is that it is hard to get lost. Several years back, when I lived in Surrey, my address was 12233 92nd Avenue. Just reading the address anybody being invited over would know that the nearest intersection was 122 St.

At the other end of the spectrum, I have seen cases where the city planner of the developer must have done the naming while in an alcoholic haze. One of my other former addresses was on Rosebank Crescent. The streets in the area included Rosemary, Roselea, Rosebush, Rose Ad Nauseum lane, etc.

Finally, Richmond, BC had a contest to name the new bridge across river to Vancouver. The bridge was built at the end of #5 Road. Any guesses what the winning entry was? That's right, the #5 Road bridge. It almost like naming your dog, Dog. It displays a certain lack of imagination, although, avoids the political fallout of naming it after somebody someone is sure to dislike.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 759 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith