Page 1 of 2 1 2
#26543 04/13/01 12:42 PM
P
paulb Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
P
Over the past couple of years, I've been working my way, chronologically, through the novels of Iris Murdoch (and enjoying her style and her plots enormously). I've just finished "The philosopher's pupil" (1983) where I found the following deft turn of phrase:

"Her summer dresses were made of that sort of feather-weight polyester which is what cotton is like when it goes to heaven."

I also encountered two words new to me: "ascesis" and "noumenal" (not in the same sentence, may I add).

#26544 04/13/01 02:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah! Ascesis: like an ascetic--what one engages in, that is. Noumenal I had heard of.
I may have come across a polyester as fine as she described, but certainly not very often. And the way clothing is labeled, an untrained eye has no clue to what the fabric will actually be like. They seem to use the
term "cotton/polyester" or its reverse pretty widely, and the feels of the fabrics that have these labels also varies widely. Polyester was touted as nearly a miracle fabric when it came out, because of not needing to be ironed, but it didn't take consumers very long to realize it's as uncomfortable as heck because it doesn't "breathe". Yuck.

#26545 04/13/01 03:55 PM
old hand
old hand
Amen, Jackie. I went through a wardrobe-culling with my mom a few years ago, after she has rediscovered cotton and rayon... I made her get rid of every pair of polyester pants she owned, and while she was none too happy about it at the time, she's done nothing but thank me since!

Polyester... Don't get me started. Fiberbabe chooses not to acknowledge that particular fiber, in her universe.

#26546 04/13/01 04:22 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
"Her summer dresses were made of that sort of feather-weight polyester which is what cotton is like when it goes to heaven." I also encountered two words new to me: "ascesis" and "noumenal" (not in the same sentence, may I add).

Is polyester noumenal cotton, then, or just the gossamer wings of dime store angels?

Polyester double-knits were big with 7th graders when I was one. I couldn't stand the stuff, but you couldn't get cotton. I remember how incredulous the salesman was when I insisted on it--to no avail.

BUT--there is one brand of thermal underwear made from the devil's thread that is wonderful: warm, wicks, and soft as a sailor's date.

Bridge 'dess 96 can tell us if it's true that when polyester burns it reduces to paraffin.

#26547 04/13/01 04:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the trouble with polyester is -- it can be so many things-- back in the 60's there was a form of polyester called "whipped cream"-- it was extreme soft and fine and breathable-- it went away and was replacece with poly double knits-- which-- again where fine for some things-- as IP, mentions, they are warm, and made good winter gear--

Micro fibers-- which are all the rage are similar to the old fashioned "whipped cream" ployester.

rayon is cool, and lightweight-- but it shrinks like cotton, and really doesn't want to be washed, but dry cleaned, wrinkles as bad or worse than linen...

One of my favorite summer fabics-- which cost a kings ransom, is very, very fine tropical weight wool. I has 100% wool dresses-- so light weight they were almost sheer! wool wicks away moisture, doesn't wrinkle, can be hand washed, it hold dyes well, so you have great colors and no color rub off-- (rayon, like cotton bleeds! i had having navy blue under arm pits!-- or other areas where fabric comes close to moist parts of your body) . But its very hard to find-- and when you do, you are looking at a $40 a yard fabric!

#26548 04/13/01 04:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bridge 'dess 96 can tell us if it's true that when polyester burns it reduces to paraffin.

Ahh~ indeed, dear Daedalus was much more handy at building mazes than he was at crafting wings. OTOH, perhaps his great flaw was only in not recognizing that 'tis a perquisite of youth to be inclined to follow one's heart and whimsy wherever it may lead.

re polyester... fiberbabe, perhaps you can tell me: are the new microfibers which are so soft not indeed a form of polyester? surely you cannot find fault in their delicious texture?

when i was in the second or third grade in the late 70's, i was forced to wear these ghastly bright green *hand-me-down* polyester slacks. i still have issues with my mother over that one. [shudder-e]

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
"Paulb -- Your post reminded me of an idea that I have been considering for some time. I feel it would be useful, interesting, entertaining, enjoyable,etc. (choose or add to list) to create a subset to "Miscellany", e.g. "An Anthology of Phrase and Style". Building upon the root-meaning of "anthology" in its sense of "flower-gathering" or "flower-collection", I see such a section as a dedicated space where AWADers may gather, collect and post, with or without comments, "a deft turn of phrase", a well-arranged bouquet of words, a basket of scented phrases, a curious or striking paragraph or short poem or any interesting string of words or symbols deemed worthy of Board attention. I envision such a section as one in which the entries are made randomly, merely as "here is a good bit of writing for all to see and admire" citing author and source. In my view, this dedicated section would not lead to "threads" or responses but would merely serve as an AWAD repository, an anthology, for Boarders to post such particular materials to the attention of others. Any thoughts or comments as to feasiblity/desirability of this proposal? If there is any interest, I'll leave it to others to contact the authorities and make the arangements.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i LOVE the idea, scribbelerius

perhaps jackie--who has earned the ear of the Great Anu--would be willing to submit the idea?

#26551 04/13/01 06:39 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Polyester, like nylon, to me feels uncomfortable because it does not absorb moisture as readily as cotton.But there are advantages to the blends.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[music notes icon] a well-arranged bouquet of words, a basket of scented phrases [music notes icon]

Scribbler, I can't help it; please forgive me--but I love you! These are utterly wonderful, and I am completely swooned... Oh, they just sing! Oh, please do start this subset, and may I be so bold as to make a suggestion taken from your own lovely words, and perhaps call it
"Bouquets"? And you can immediately transfer all of your posts to it, as far as I'm concerned...
I think just a new thread would suffice. It may have to,
because if I recall correctly, suggestions have been made to our beloved Anu to add categories in the past. I have a
feeling this is rather a lot of work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 580 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith