Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#26142 04/10/01 08:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"sympathetic vibrations".

these are pretty cool-- here is a neat trick when watch a tv commerical-- (you should be at least 6 to 8 back from the tv for this to work.)

watch the tv , take a couple of deep breathes, and then, start to hum-- on middle c- (a piano is a nice start-- or some one with a good sence of pitch) Hum and watch the televisions.

Most human skulls have sympathetic vibrations with middle c, which also happen to have sympathetic vibrations with 60HZ-- TV screen are "refreshed" at a rate of 60 hz-- so after a while what happens in you can "See the the refresh rate" (this also happens when you make a tape recording of a TV broadcast) it distorts the image in an interesting way... it works for about 85 to 90% of the populations-- I used to know all the math (ie, frequecy of Middle C in Hz, most common frequency of human skull, etc.) but like Musick trick with the piano-- you can experient with sympathetic vibrations.

I have also heard that the "Throb" or bass beat of a lot of rock 'n roll is a sympathetic vibrations to the human heard beat-- so music can actually effect your heart rhythm.... so Wow, you might be "too old" -- music that once moved you, might now give you pain....

#26143 04/11/01 01:47 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<sympathetic vibration>>

While we're on fun experiments you can do at home, has anyone ever done the triboluminesence bit? Apparently, if you pop a wintergreen lifesaver (gotta be wintergreen, according to the pros) in your mouth facing a mirror in a darkened room and bite down on it with your mouth open, you should see a flash of light. I invested in two rolls of lifesavers with disappointing results. But triboluminesence is a real phenomenon and a physcist tells me there's no reason it shouldn't work. [honest emoticon]

#26144 04/11/01 03:36 AM
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand

Is a predominant bass leading a piece of music called funk?

#26145 04/11/01 03:36 AM
G
old hand
old hand
G
Wow - I'm not sure what the musical term may be, but youngsters here refer to that sound as "doof".

Around here the teenagers refer to making those artificial earthquakes as "bumping." Although I find it to be gosh-awful annoying, I must confess to having been young once. Back in the 1960s I had an old Renault 4CV with a highly modified engine. When I could get away with it I would remove the muffler and install a 38" pipe with an 18" megaphone attatched. The yowl of that little engine at 8,000rpm was music to my severely overtaxed ears!

There's an article in the latest Popular Mechanics magazine about the correlation between automobile exhaust sounds and the driver's mental state. The Flowmaster muffler company is doing research on tuning mufflers to the emotions of a car's intended market. If only Orwell could see us now!

#26146 04/11/01 10:01 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
funk?

That's certainly my understanding of funky music, Avy - led by a bit fat bass riff.

#26147 04/11/01 12:28 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
In reply to:

<<sympathetic vibration>>

While we're on fun experiments you can do at home, has anyone ever done the triboluminesence bit? Apparently, if you pop a wintergreen lifesaver (gotta be wintergreen, according to the pros) in your mouth facing a mirror in a darkened room and bite down on it with your mouth open, you should see a flash of light. I invested in two rolls of lifesavers with disappointing results. But triboluminesence is a real phenomenon and a physcist tells me there's no reason it shouldn't work. [honest emoticon]

It really, really works. Here's why, courtesy of The Straight Dope:

"Step One: When you shatter the sugar crystals with your teeth, electrons (which are negatively charged) break free. As a result, the atoms in which the electrons were formerly embedded become positively charged. In what amounts to a subatomic game of musical chairs, the free electrons dash around madly trying to find a new home.

Step Two: Meanwhile, as the sugar crystals disintegrate, nitrogen molecules from the air attach themselves to the fractured surfaces. When the free electrons strike the nitrogen molecules, they cause the latter to emit invisible ultraviolet radiation, along with a faint visible glow.

Step Three: The UV radiation is absorbed by the wintergreen flavoring, methyl salicylate. This then emits the fairly bright blue light you see."

-- http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_129.html

I can verify the theory, having tested it empirically. If you've had trouble getting the expected results, here are some suggestions. (1) Make sure that the wintergreen lifesavers you are using are fresh. Older ones which had absorbed moisture won't snap sufficiently when bit to create the shattering of sugar crystals required to generate the reaction. (2) Be sure to be in an absolutely dark space, as the light is faint and it easily obliterated by competing light sources. (3) Give your eyes time to adjust to the darkness before attempting to view the show. Happy crunching.

#26148 04/11/01 12:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the triboluminesence bit?

I thought this was -- and now i am not sure i have the right word-- pyroelectric-- which my M-W10th says is related to a change in temperature- but i was looking for a py word for the effect of pressure-- (used in "Quartz" cystal watches-- ) which wintergreen, (and yes, it must be wintergreen, peppermints or spearmints candies won't work) exhibits.

As you apply pressure to the candy, you get small flashes of electric discharge-- similar to static. --
the same effect can't be seen with the naked eye, but if you put scotch (cellophane tape) on glass, then put the glass on top of photographic paper, (exposed paper)-- and peel the tape of the glass, you get a series of "sparks" which show up clearly once the film has been developed... (an other weird science game to play with your kids--) the cheap stuff works better than the expensive stuff.

I used to encourage fun science projects like this-- but i drew the line when my teen age son started to make bombs-- (not serious bombs, but something called "popcorn bombs" made out of tin foil, they expand and pop open like a grain of popcorn-- the make a loud poppin noise too, and scare the dickens out of you! Still, i didn't think bomb making was a good hobbie for home!) but since he saw no harm (he wasn't thinking of blowing things up, just of scaring his sister and her friends) He was doing out in the open, not secretly, so it was easy to put a stop to it.

#26149 04/11/01 01:18 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
While we're still on the subject of fun experiments you can do at home, an excellent book for any of you with children is Nathan Shalit's "Cup and Saucer Chemistry," which may still be available from Dover Books. Shalit walks you through a good number of chemistry experiments that can be performed using--harmless--items found around the kitchen.

(and thanks, Sparts)

(As to wintergreen lifesavers, I have it on the authority of The Straight Dope (Sparts duly thanked above) that "triboluminescence" is the correct term.)

#26150 04/11/01 01:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
but i was looking for a py word for the effect of pressure

Piezoelectric

#26151 04/11/01 03:03 PM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
The fresh wintergreen Life Savers do make sparks ... I impressed the heck out of several kidddies by demonstrating the trick and teaching them to do it.
They think I am "way cool."
wow

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith