Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#25969 04/05/01 05:27 PM
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
Has anyone else noticed that we seem to have a disproportionate number of Davids hereabouts? What, linguistically speaking, does this mean?

There are also at least two Anns. Compare and contrast.

Do we have other duplications?

Will the board be all Jennifers and Jasons in twenty years?

Does anybody have the capability of calculating the likelihood of x Davids in a group of - what? 30? 40?

Why is everything I say a question????

#25970 04/05/01 06:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
actually(tm), i did notice that. funny that you did, also. i mentioned it to jackie not long ago, so she can vouch for me.

CapK, Scribbler, insel, faldage, flatlander, winkelpleck.... who else? i know i'm forgetting some....

As for popularity, "David" was #2 in the 70's, #1 in the 60's, #6 in the 50's, #18 in the 40's and 30's

since michael and john are both right up there, i'm surprised not to see more of them here. (are there *any* johns? i can also think of only one michael... odd)

#25971 04/05/01 06:29 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
only one michael... odd

People have died for less...

#25972 04/05/01 06:54 PM
H
addict
addict
H
People have died for less..

Shouldn't that be "People have died for fewer," o voice of wisdom?

#25973 04/05/01 07:11 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I was, in one sense, named in the '40s yet, in another, I was named at some ill defined point in the past, possibly mid 18th century. My name is the end of a line of alternating Davids and Jamesses(? I refuse to stoop to the apostrophe s plural, even with this level of provocation!) passed on from eldest son of eldest son to eldest son of eldest son in leap frog fashion. I did once work for a company that was thinking of fielding a bowling team named Dave. We would all have worn bowling shirts with Dave stitched over the cigarette pocket and Dave embroidered in large glowing letters on the back.

#25974 04/05/01 08:04 PM
B
addict
addict
B
Do we have other duplications?

Yes! I was stunned when I found another Bridget on the board, given that I had only come across about three in my entire life before.

(BTW that's not why I have stopped posting - I just have a time issue, which will not go away until I change the laws of the universe / my lifestyle. Neither looking easy at the moment... )

Isn't it also interesting that we Bridgets are such open and honest people () that we both chose to have AWAD names that are our own name? Bridget96 even chose to do that when the obvious first choice was denied her.

#25975 04/05/01 11:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I hereby declare that I am the only TRUE David on the board. All others are fakes or inferior copies.

Others using my name should cease to do so forthwith. They are free to choose other names if they so wish. Otherwise, a cheque for $US500,000 from each of you for the continued breach of copyright, thank you!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#25976 04/05/01 11:24 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
To David XVIII from DIII --- That is quite an impressive dynasty. I am curious as to whether you approve of that tradition and are continuing it (or planning to do so) or do you find it cumberson and stifling of creativity and individuality. My family likes -as do I - the tradition of family names. The name provides a visible bond of family and a feeling of stability in an increasingly unstable world. My grandfather, the first David, was born in 1883. My older son, D IV, has just become engaged. Will there be a D V ? Time will determine. Having filled in some info on our multiple "Davids" and when they were named, I now return you to our original "Name that Poster" thread. (Post Scribble, i.e."l'esprit d'escalier") I have always considered the act, the process, of "Naming" interesting, whether naming children, books, songs, products, whatever. Names often have an aura, something magical about them,"Yahweh" etc,(someone help me w/ the Hebrew), names radiate power and sell products. Names may be legally protected and acquire commercial value. Interesting topic, wot? Might be worthy of a future post if there is any interest, and if someone could narrow the idea and give such a Post a good, catchy, "NAME".

#25977 04/06/01 12:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Scribbler, I agree--names are very important, and the strongest efforts should be made to get them right.
If someone comes up with a special name for me, then to me that is a sign that they think I am special, and only that person do I allow to call me that name. Likewise I do to
others--take the name David, for ex. I don't know any
Daves or Daveys, but if I did, I would never call one the other, nor David either. If someone's birth certificate says they are Johnny, then they are not John--unless they prefer it.

We've only had one person use David as their screen name, and that was only partial: David108, whom I miss dreadfully.

Psst, Scribbler--I am much too in awe of you to even dare to think of giving you a pet name. I always think of myself as bowing out of a room backwards, in your presence.

#25978 04/06/01 04:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the authentic bridget writes:

Isn't it also interesting that we Bridgets are such open and honest people () that we both chose to have AWAD names that are our own name? Bridget96 even chose to do that when the obvious first choice was denied her.

well~llll, things aren't always as they appear

i *am* an honest person, though, FWIW

~kimberly

ps: Jackie~ just don't call him Carus Deus...he might explode in a fit of laughter. it might earn you a good story, though

#25979 04/06/01 09:19 AM
old hand
old hand
... Ravis, I say.

How come there aren't any others here named after the Sanskrit Sun god, eh?

I admit that it is not the most common name, even in India, but here is my calculation:

Population of India, approximately = 1,000,000,000

Hindus, at about 80% = 800,000,000

Males, at about 50% = 400,000,000

Ravi, at about 1% = 4,000,000

So there should be at least 4,000,000 of my namesakes floating around this world - most in India. Why are they not on this board? I demand positive discrimination, and reserved seats on AWAD for all those named Ravi - after all, we might just form two-thirds of one tenth of one percent of the world's population. Dang, that's one heck of a single-issue pressure group!

cheer

the sunshine warrior

ps. BBC2 has a hilarious programme on about a chap called Dave Gorman, who, along with his flatmate, has been looking for 54 Dave Gorman's (that's as many as the cards in a pack - including jokers!) His key goal is to get a reasonable mpdg (Miles per Dave Gorman) figure - between 300 and 500 miles travelled per Dave Gorman met. I recommend it to anybody in the UK - quirky, good humoured and hilarious

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 759 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith