Print Thread
#25752 04/03/01 02:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
can someone please help me cure a brain fade i'm having? for some reason i've been called upon to use a certain word a kazillion times in the past week, but it continues to elude me. i'm sure i'd think of it eventually, but i suspect someone can help jog my memory.

the word means, in essence, something (Y) that would necessarily accompany another (X), specifically as a result of (X)(Does that sound as convoluted as i imagine it does?). For example, i might use this word i were to say something about "Love and its [insert the word here--accompanying is not the one i'm looking for, though, nor is resultant] headaches and heartaches" or "Spring and its [insert word] burst of color"

TIA
~B

#25753 04/03/01 02:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
attendant?

-ron (postsoccasionally) obvious

#25754 04/03/01 02:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YES! thank you, tsuwm. that's exactly what i was looking for. (don't laugh )

#25755 04/03/01 02:52 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
associated?

#25756 04/03/01 03:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
concomitant

#25757 04/03/01 03:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Associated would definitely be used in some contexts, but attendant was the word that i was seeking. The problem with "associated" is that it has (for me at least) a strictly intangible connotation (ie a mental association); it suggests that the presence of the first concept (Love, or Spring in my examples) merely conjure imagery of heartache and blooms, respectively. the beauty of "attendant" is that it lends importance--or tangibility of sorts--to the secondary concept, suggesting that they ipso facto exist in reality rather than simply conceptually or by association.

or perhaps it's just me

EDIT oooh, i just noticed "concomitant" up there. and here i was so certain that 'attendant' was the one and only word on the tip of my tongue...but concomitant is a jewel as well, and perfect for the context.

i wonder...are attendant and concomitant perfectly interchangeable? in what context, if any, would one be preferable to the other?

#25758 04/03/01 04:38 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
I'm sorry, what was it you were looking for?

#25759 04/03/01 04:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
b96 asks: are attendant and concomitant perfectly interchangeable?

M-W on line gives, for concomitant:

accompanying especially in a subordinate or incidental way

for attendant:

accompanying or following as a consequence or result

I would take this to mean that in "Love and its [insert the word here] headaches and heartaches" would take concomitant and "Spring and its [insert word] burst of color" would take attendant. But that's just me. I can easily imagine a situation where either or both would be applicable. It's all in what you want to stress.

#25760 04/03/01 10:01 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Bridget96can someone please help me cure a brain fade i'm having? for some reason i've been called upon to use a certain word a kazillion times in the past week, but it continues to elude me. i'm sure i'd think of it eventually, but i suspect someone can help jog my memory.

the word means, in essence, something (Y) that would necessarily accompany another (X), specifically as a result of (X)(Does that sound as convoluted as i imagine it does?). For example, i might use this word i were to say something about "Love and its [insert the word here--accompanying is not the one i'm looking for, though, nor is resultant] headaches and heartaches" or "Spring and its [insert word] burst of color"

Bridget, I am glad you posted something like this. I have started to get worried that I am on the early stages of the dreaded big A because I do experience this phenomenon quite often just lately.

YES! thank you, tsuwm. that's exactly what i was looking for. (don't laugh )

I find myself saying that a lot these days.

I vote for ATTENDANT

chronist

#25761 04/04/01 01:42 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
the dreaded big A because I do experience this phenomenon quite often just lately

Dear Wordcrazy : Fear not!
I ,too, had that thought until I realized I sometimes experienced the same thing when I was a teen!

An MD friend explained to me the difference between normal forgetfullness and The Big A ...
You may forget where you left your keys ... that's normal.
If you are holding a key and do not know what it is ... that's cause for concern.
Whew ... as soon as I found my keys I felt a lot better!
wow

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith