#25695 04/07/01 11:56 AM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear des, Welcome aBoard.
I found ambigu while checking spelling of another word. I was using the Oxford English. I was having some fun with my post and, at same time, considering using "ambigu" on my next invitation to friends and thereby have an opening conversation and a few laughs built in to each arrival at the party since many of my chums are "wordies."
Hang around, des, you'll find I do love to shake the beehive every now and then to get everyone buzzing.
Aloha to you, dear newbie!
wow

#25696 04/07/01 12:54 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
ambigu

Then, is a buffet an ambiguous dinner? Is an invitation to one an ambiguous invitation?

These and other potentially painful misunderstandings could all be avoided by adopting the more exotic "smorgasbord."

#25697 04/07/01 01:34 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
" smorgasbord."
Dear IP: You would have a hard time finding the traditional things to make a genuine smorgasbord. It is Scandinavian, and many of the things are fish next to impossible to buy.It is self-service with many things to choose from.

>smor[gas[bord or sm;r[gBs[bord 7smCr4g!s bCrd#, sm%r$38
n.
5Swed sm;rgBsbord < sm;rgBs, buttered bread < sm;r, butter (akin to SMEAR) + dial. gBs, a clump (of butter), lit., goose (akin to GOOSE) + bord, table (akin to BOARD)6
1 a wide variety of appetizers and other tasty foods, as cheeses, fishes, meats, salads, etc., served buffet style
2 a meal composed of these
3 a restaurant serving smorgasbord
4 any widely varied assortment or collection

#25698 04/07/01 01:47 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Dear IP: You would have a hard time finding the traditional things to make a genuine smorgasbord. It is Scandinavian, and many of the things are fish next to impossible to buy.It is self-service with many things to choose from.

You're right, of course. The Family of the Danish fiancée of the cousin of my two god children (honestly) once prepared the nearest thing they could for us of the Danish equivalent of a smorgasbord in Vermont. (Whew). I think they brought some of the items with them and I know they weren't impressed with the herring, here. There was something like schnapps, which you are obliged to drink; you have the meal in circuits. Not everything was put out at once, although once it was out, it stayed out. You could have as many helpings as you wanted of any course. And a good meal it was.

#25699 04/09/01 05:35 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
In reply to:

something like schnapps

The something is akvavit, a strong clear spirit similar to acqua vitae, eau-de-vie [cognate terms] and, as you note, schnapps. It is served very cold, right out of the freezer, in small glasses. You toss it back and chase it down with a beer. I ate a lunch similar to a smorgasbord years ago with the officers of a Norwegian freighter. We started with a lavish spread of smoked and pickled fish, most of which, as Dr.Bill notes, are unobtainable in the U.S., all delicious. This was followed up by filet mignon from Buenos Aires and homemade French Fries, accompanied by the akvavit/beer routine. One of the most fabulous meals I have ever eaten. I have no idea how I got down the gangway or how I got home.

#25700 04/17/01 02:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>so I ate a dozen; but the last four didn't work

Reminds me of the guy who went into a pharmacy and said to the woman at the back counter: "May I have a dozen condoms, Miss?"

The woman replied, "Don't you 'Miss' me, young man."

"OK, make it thirteen."

TEd
#25701 04/17/01 03:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Don't you 'Miss' me, young man."

"OK, make it thirteen."

Oh, Ted! I am so glad you're back, Sweetie! I didn't think anybody could get me to laugh today, but you did.

#25702 04/19/01 09:55 AM
B
addict
addict
B
Is the Russian service you describe akin to the Silver Service used by catering professionals in the UK?

Shanks, I don't think so. Or at least, I don't think it's exactly the same thing. To me, silver service entails more than waiting on individuals at table. It also requires all those super trendy things like being able to balance half a dozen different plates up the length of your left arm, whilst serving the different vegetables from them onto diners' plates with two spoons held in the right hand and used in a way I can best describe as a cross between scissoring and using chopsticks. (One of the spoons stays firm as a base under whatever you pick up, the other closes down on the food on the first one and holds it in place.)

...off to consult my sister, who not only works in catering, but does so in the US. Always knew she'd come in useful one day...

W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
whilst serving ...with two spoons held in the right hand ... a cross between scissoring and using chopsticks.

A group of distinguished people were dining in the Empire Room of New York's premier hotel, the Waldorf Astoria, surrounded by attentive waiters.
One lady had on a dress with very deep decolletage and suddenly the fabric slipped, exposing her breast.
A young waiter immediately came to her aid and handily popped her breast back into her gown. Nobody blinked. The people carried on as if nothing had happened.
After the guests departed, leaving a generous tip, the Head Waiter called aside the young waiter and told the young waiter he had handled the incident pretty well.
"However", he said, "if such a thing ever happens again you should know that, at the Waldorf, we use two warmed spoons."

Now, THAT is Silver Service!
wow

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I guess I rail against lawyers as much as anyone else. You know, rapacious, unethical, all that sort of thing. And this in spite of having two lawyers who are close friends. I can't resist lawyer jokes. On the other hand, they can never resist jokes about IT and IT professionals either, so I guess we're even-stevens on that one.

However, my overall view of the legal profession was probably coloured somewhat by an incident at a formal dinner I went to many years ago. It was a Law Society do, and there was quite a large number of lawyers - and judges - at it, all merrily throwing large quantities of quality hooch down their necks.

One of the more attractive female lawyers was both well-endowed at chest level and wearing a halter neck dress that was secured behind her neck with a bow. She was seated between two judges, one High Court and the other an SM (stipendiary magistrate). I was sitting opposite and along to the side a little. After about an hour, the High Court judge got up to go to the little boys' room and as he walked pass our lady lawyer, he pulled the end of the bow. Down came the top of the dress. I have to admit that although she was clearly annoyed, she handled it with considerable sang froid, pulling the top up and retying the bow. However, when the SM got up and did the same thing, she was clearly very annoyed. She did her top up again, this time with a knot. But she didn't say a word.

I've never gone to a Law Society do again, although I've had frequent invites. Now, what was the point of this? I've forgotten. Ah yes, Wow's story about silver service.

Anyway, form your own opinions (as I'm sure you will).

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith