Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#25340 03/29/01 05:55 PM
Faldage Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Per request from inselpeter in WordPlay

Nautical Terms:

Walls --- transverse members of the ribs between the double bottoms.

Ceiling -- The inner hull; the inner part of the double bottoms. Generally not watertight.

Door -- An opening through a bulkhead.

Hatch -- An opening through a deck.

Manhole -- An opening through a hatch.

Quiz question:
Where are the head lights on a ship?

#25341 03/29/01 07:00 PM
H
addict
addict
H
A great source for more obscure nautical terms is A Sea of Words by Dean King. It's a companion book to the Patrick O'Brian novels (which I recommended in the Book Recommendations thread) and really has some amazing stuff. Unfortunately, it somehow missed a few key phrases used in the books, most notably "a cheese of wads."

In spite of reading lots of fiction set during the age of sail, I haven't heard the term head lights. It may be more modern - but I'd guess it means the light in the head, aka the privy.

#25342 03/29/01 07:33 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
I agree with Hyla about the head lights.

Re ceiling: A ship which is going to carry foodstuffs, like grain, in bulk, which is poured/loaded directly, and with no packaging of any kind, into the hold of a ship, generally has to be protected from contamination, moisture and rats by a ceiling. There are ship ceilers, who build a ceiling, or wooden inner liner, in the holds, and it covers the bottom and walls (bulkheads) of the hold. Hence, the bottom, which a landlubber would call a floor, is a ceiling! There's glory for you.

#25343 03/29/01 07:46 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
ladders = stairs
abaft = towards the rear, or stern
abeam = at right angles to the keel, across the width
able-bodied [seaman] = experienced, but not necessarily entirely physically capable
forward = towards the front, or prow
starboard = right side, when facing forward
port = left side, when facing forward
larboard = obsolete term for 'port'
pitch = to rock back to front or vice versa, along the axis of the keel
roll = to rock sideways, at right angles (more or less) to the keel
heave = to rock up and down
yaw = slide down [a wave] in a diagonal direction

#25344 03/29/01 08:09 PM
H
addict
addict
H
able-bodied [seaman]

A crew-member was typically rated as the above when he demonstrated that he could "hand, reef, and steer."

This means he could: roll up and secure (or furl) a sail, tie a reef knot (and presumably other needed knots), and steer the ship when on duty at the helm.

#25345 03/29/01 11:23 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Here are some I especially like, culled from yours:

larboard
yaw
hand, reef, and steer.
ship ceiler

I guess I'm looking for words that came with the sea, salt crusts and drowning. Parts of boats we've seen, like jib or thwart, a reef I sailed past once outside Gloucester Harbor: The Reef of Norman's woe. Bow sprits (fog sprits, to take a gander at your riddle, faldage). I liked yar when Catherine Hepburn said it. All those things Melville goes on and on with in the 90% primer that's Moby Dick. Romantic stuff. In Flensburg, I think it is, there's a bronze statue of a fisherman, wet and bone cold, carrying his drowned daughter in his arms. What words would he have used then?

Thanks,
Binky
[bad pun intentionally omitted]

#25346 03/29/01 11:43 PM
H
addict
addict
H
Not sure what the fisherman would have said, but he would certainly have wondered what the hell his daughter was doing on board his boat. In the age of sail, at least in Europe, it was generally considered bad luck to have a woman on board ship, and I understand that persists to some degree.

Related to this, one very interesting term is "Jonah" - in the case of a ship that was having a run of bad luck (losing battles, not catching fish, whatever) this was applied to the individual sailor who was thought to be the source of the bad luck. He would often be singled out because of some oddity or flaw of his character, such as being left-handed or holding unorthodox beliefs. I assume the term comes from the biblical character swallowed by the whale, but I've never looked into the etymology.

One of my favorite terms for describing a location on a ship is "abaft the starboard mainchains." I'm also partial to hawse-hole - the hole where the anchor cable passed out of the cable tier and attached to the anchor - as well as cathead - which I think is where the anchor hangs when not in use, but I don't recall for sure.

If this thread survives until Monday, perhaps I'll grab my copy of Sea of Words and provide a few more gems.

Hyla verbosii nauticalorum

#25347 03/29/01 11:53 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<I assume the term comes from the biblical character swallowed by the whale, but I've never looked into the etymology.>>

Can't remember the story, exactly. They put Jonah in the hold when the storm came up, and when they threw him overboard, it instantly abated. I might have that wrong, but someone's bound to right it.

There's a wonderful quasi-cabalistic interpretation of the tale, that put's Johna in the furthest reaches of hell. So deep, God can't hear him when he calls to Him.

Binky

#25348 03/30/01 12:36 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Companionway - another word for "stairs"

#25349 03/30/01 01:31 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
there's a bronze statue of a fisherman, wet and bone cold, carrying his drowned daughter in his arms. What words would he have used then?

"Out of the depths I cry, O Lord, hear me."

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith