Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#25053 03/30/01 09:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ahhhh~ now i see it. when atomica came up empty, i didn't search any further.

it's a good thing you didn't typo it to "marakihau", though i daresay it'd be a more fitting description of me

#25054 03/30/01 10:30 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Thank you! You have taught me a new Maori word today, and reinforced the differences still extant in regional versions of Maori. I could not find "marakihau" in any of my usual online Maori dictionaries, and when I rang some friends for whom Maori is their first language, they had never heard the word either. Then I google it, and all was revealed. I can't picture you as a sea monster/god, but my friends were delighted and surprised to learn a new word. I shall have to print a picture of a "marakihau" and find out what it would be called in the Maori that they speak. Nga whakawhetai kia koe, mareikura.
(I offer thanks and praise to you, goddess)

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/maxq/Jo's_Hints.htm

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Escaped from the doldrums of March Aunt Fanny's Devil's Dictionary of Cricket is alive and well (Hi E) and back in business.

http://home.sprynet.com/~hotoff/crickgl.htm

For the picture of the Teletubbies see http://home.sprynet.com/~hotoff/crickgl.htm#battingshot

Everything I know about cricket I learned from reading Aunt Fanny in conjunction with the Don's Farewell to Cricket

#25056 04/02/01 09:08 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
How about pet names for people?
I've already told you about Tree Toad
and Sugar Beet goes without saying
Pookie, Poopie (though I've never used 'em)

What about y'all?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Escaped from the doldrums of March Aunt Fanny's Devil's Dictionary of Cricket is alive and well (Hi E) and back in business.

Well off-topic.

Most Americans I know who've come to NZ (and presumably this also would hold good for any that went to Oz, Britain, South Africa, the West Indies, India, Pakistan or Sri Lanka)find cricket to be totally inexplicable. Most dismiss it as a cultural quirk and immediately start complaining that baseball, NBA or NFL isn't shown at all, never mind live, on NZ TV. And most never seem to get over it. They get cable TV ASAP and live on ESPN.

Yet ... yet ... an American lecturer from Louisiana and another from Idaho (where? I hear you ask) started work at Otago University when I was working there. Like all the others, they initially carped bitterly about the lack of "real sport" in NZ - just that "rugby and cricket crap".

A few of us from the department were going to a one-day international between NZ and Oz and kidded these guys into coming along. Lying on the embankment in the sun drinking beer and eating hotdogs and sandwiches ain't so bad, and it mellowed one of them, in particular (the Louisianan) towards cricket. Going from "Why doesn't the bowler just throw the ball at the those sticks?" to challenging umpires' decisions "Ah, c'mon, he didn't touch the f***ing ball with the bat, how can he be out?" followed by a condensed and intense tutorial on LBW took about four hours.

Before you knew it, he was playing in the evening competition for a scratch team of University staff (no real competition, just fun, beer and wickets) and he developed into a reasonable slow/medium pace bowler. His scorn at the width of the cricket bat in comparison with a baseball bat just melted away when he was faced with 100kph deliveries from one or other of the many Otago reps who played for fun.

Last I heard he was the secretary of the University Cricket Club ...

Still, I find the notion of US cricket to be as much of an oxymoron as NZ baseball!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
R
addict
addict
R
and recently the news reader on Channel 4 TV in UK announced that an English batsman "had been given out Leg Over" in Pakistan (I think) rather than using the more normal phrase "Leg Before". She was the teased for the rest of the news by her colleagues.
Rod

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith