Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
addict
addict
R
Brilliant means "very clever" or "very good" to me. "My son is brilliant, he can do long multiplication in his head". "The band were brilliant, they played all the oldies"

Is this different from US usage?

Do UK wives tell their husbands to shut the frock up?

No, they would say something like "Darling, please unbutton my frock, and drop it gently to the floor. And if I ever catch you wearing it again...!"

Ro* Ward

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Darling, please unbutton my frock, and drop it gently to the floor. And if I ever catch you wearing it again...!"

Oh, Ron/b/y--oh, D!--RoD, how funny!

I have to stick my US'n (I do like that abbreviation) preference in again, though we have done this before:
The band was brilliant. It was brilliant.
Your way makes so much sense, but just sounds wrong, wrong, wrong to me.

G
stranger
stranger
G
In American usage, I'd say it's very rare to hear the word "brilliant" in the sense of "very good."

In fact, just seeing "That band was brilliant!" in writing makes think think of a British accent.

(I'm also having an image of Basil Fawlty, screaming "Brilliant!" at the top of his lungs, meaning "Great idea!")

#24920 03/27/01 01:47 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Smart I use as "bright" and "intelligent"
But, also aware of its meaning as a stinging sensation one gets with a dermal abrasion.
Common put down in my youth centered on that meaning.
"She's very smart."
"Yeah, where the skin's off!"
Also, when, say, someone has a coordinated ensemble I'd say "You look very smart." Which would be taken as meaning the entire look makes a particularly good impression.
The phrase is not heard often but the meaning is clear and the person to whom it is addressed knows exactly what's meant and is pleased.
wow

#24921 03/27/01 02:08 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I've often heard smart to mean the initial feeling of a stinging or burning hurt. A pain that comes on really quickly, like carpet burn as an example. If the pain stays then it no longer smarts but aches, or whatever other description pains have.

"You look really smart in that suit" has fallen out of use. I would say that it was mostly said in my parent's generation (over 50).

#24922 03/27/01 02:12 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
To respond to initial post...Max, perhaps he didn't give you the best example with smart but I can understand what he was talking about.

Just this week we discussed blinkers/blinders. If a guy made a joke and said a person didn't see what was coming because he had his "blinkers on" NOBODY in Québec would get it because they would automatically think the guy was in his car and had his turning lights on.

G
old hand
old hand
G
"Dress" would now be my word of choice (in UK) over "Frock" which sounds old fashioned

What about the diference between BE and AE in the meaning of pants? It is my understanding that in the UK, if one goes into a shop and asks to see pants, one is directed to underwear instead of trousers, as would happen in the USA. Also, the streamlined fairings around aircraft wheels are spats in the UK, and pants in the USA, where the term "spats" is archaic. And, as we all know, we can't have archaic and eat it too.

Now, not being a transvestite, don't one of you Brits call me a frocking idiot!

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The dictionary gives the first meaning of smart as the sensation of pain, it then gives smart as slang for intelligent.
The teachers gave lazy students blows to various parts of the anatomy. First their backsides smarted, then their brains learned how to avoid punishment, and the students then were "smart."

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
in the USA, the term "spats" is archaic

Oh Gawd! You're making me feel old, *old, OLD!!!!!
Could not find "spats" on the Shorter OED-CD or through Atomica.
However, Webster's New World Dictionary of the American Language (1978) has "spats" defined as noun (Colloq)<spatterdash - a legging a gaiterlike covering for the instep and ankle.
My Dad wore spats which were made of a soft felt in colors to compliment or contrast with the shoe/trouser color. They buttoned on the outside of the instep and protected the shoe top and ankle and provided some warmth in winter.
Only place I see them now is in "period" movie dramas.
But there is no other word that is specific to them
Is it because spats are no longer in fashion that the word has become archaic?
That is until some designer revives spats as a fashion statement or fad?
wow

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
DELETED: Garynamy does it better !!

<<Darling>>
Ro, you are a trip!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 340 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith