Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
I just managed to find my way into the Chat with Richard Lederer and asked him if any of his puns had ever failed due to differences in usage bewtween countries. Part of his reply surprised me. He said:"For example, any joke that relied on the line "smart as a whip" wouldn't work in the UK because the folks there don't use "smart" to mean "intelligent."

This really surprised me, as many of my UK friends use "smart" in that way. Obviously, I would not expect ordinary speakers of any variant of English to be au fait with another variant's usage. However, the fact that Dr. Lederer is a usage editor for a major dictionary, makes me wonder if his response is more proof of the astonishing insularity (nod-to-tsuwm-emoticon) of US English speakers?

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Max: Just for fun, I went to UK Yahoo, found Cambridge English Dictionary, and it gave smart the way I am used to using it.

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Dear Max: Just for fun, I went to UK Yahoo, found Cambridge English Dictionary, and it gave smart the way I am used to using it.

Thanks, Dr. Bill, tat's my point exactly. How could a usage editor for a dictionary not know that? Or, rather, does the fact that a usage editor for a dictionary did not know that indicate that the gap between the two main Englishes is now a gaping chasm that even the exceptionally learned do not cross?

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
How very odd. 'Smart' doesn't strike me as in any way an Americanism. I wasn't aware of any usage difference. It's just another everyday synonym, intelligent = smart = clever.

Perhaps it's not the word of first choice, I don't know; I'd say someone was intelligent, as the most neutral. I use 'clever' to mean intelligent but it also has a possible pejorative connotation of overly-clever; 'smart' is open to the same objection: you can reprimand someone 'Don't be clever!' or 'Stop being smart!'. I assume these connotations are US also. But the basic meaning is (as far as I'm aware), just 'intelligent', and is a natural word for it here.

It doesn't strike me as parallel to either of these cases: (i) Two words, both used in both countries, but each preferring one. So 'frock' and 'dress' both used and understood, but US would usually choose 'dress', UK 'frock'. (ii) One word, primary sense different in each country, but both senses understood in both. So UK 'mad' = insane, but also understood as angry*; US conversely.

Perhaps my second paragraph means it's actually of type (i) but I'm no longer as sensitive to non-UK usage as I used to be.

* This formerly said crazy, which was a typo -- I meant angry, of course.

R
addict
addict
R
"Dress" would now be my word of choice (in UK) over "Frock" which sounds old fashioned (and I'm not young). Is this a regional, class, age, difference? Or just personal?
"smart" with no context would mean neat and tidy to me, but within context could mean "clever" with no awkwardness, and no connotations. "Don't be smart with me" = "Don't be clever with me" with no difference.

Ro* Ward

B
old hand
old hand
B
There is one informal BE usage of smart that is not used in AE:
A:Did you get the tickets for the concert?
B:Yeah!
A:Smart! (meaning 'Excellent' or 'good job')

'Smart as a whip' ('bright as a button'?), seems pretty obvious, even though I like 'quick as a whip'.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Yo, Ro, I'm with you exactly on this.

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
i) "Brilliant," however, *is* used differently, no?

ii) re: dress/frock: Do UK wives tell their husbands to shut the frock up?

addict
addict
What about "smartypants"? For me, it refers to a person who is too clever for their own good, and cheeky to boot.
Would that be mainly US or British English?

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<and cheeky to boot>>

Marianna,

You've given me another excuse to bite my tongue.
David

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith