About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#24648 03/26/01 05:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>...a definition of music that everything you like fits but the stuff you don't consider music doesn't?

too easy: an aesthetically pleasing or harmonious sound or combination of sounds

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i love chamber music more than any other, but i'll listen to anything. it totally depends on the scenario; when i'm by myself at home it's usually classical (Mozart and Bach are my favorites, but i think Faure's Pavane is arguably the most beautiful piece ever written; with my husband it's usually classics like the Doors, Joni Mitchell, CSN(&Y), Doobies, Eagles and especially Steely Dan; driving on the freeway with the top down on a hot day it's inevitably either kid rock or Ministry of Sound, but during the cold months for some reason i love stuff like Matchbox 20, Vertical Horizon, Lara Fabian, U2(their cover of Unchained Melody is breathtaking), or even some of the old power ballads from Great White, etc.

recently (thanks kev!) i discovered Allan Holdsworth, who is wonderful, but i've always loved Benoit, Honk, Satriani and others of that ilk.

the only stuff that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth is some of these girl rap bands that have appeared out of nowhere (and will hopefully retreat quickly), the syrupy-sweet 'boy bands' such as BSB and 'n sync, twangy country stuff, and the show tunes that my husband insists on playing every Sunday morning (blech).

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
the only stuff that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth is some of these girl rap bands that have appeared out of nowhere (and will hopefully retreat quickly),

There you touch on one of the great mystries of rap. How can a form of expression that glorifies the most vile mysogyny be so attractive to so many young women. Marshall Mathers is only the latest in a long line of rappers who have been phenomenally successful chanting the standard rap giospel of anger, hate and intolerance, and women have always been at the top of the list of targets. It was the hateful, degrading language used to express that mysogyny that turned me off rap completely, and left me bewildered at its popularity among young females.

#24651 03/26/01 09:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I'll expose my old-lady ignorance:

What's the difference?

#24652 03/26/01 09:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Faldage makes the point - nay, the rhetorical question: Any of y'all out there who have a category you don't consider music have a definition of music that everything you like fits but the stuff you don't consider music doesn't?

This raises a serious point. When does art stop being art? Like, that guy who rolls national monuments with toilet paper, or the one who machine-gunned all his earthly possessions.....
[banging-head-on-keyboard emoticon]

#24653 03/26/01 10:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Rap is specifically and intently lyrical, quite often spoken with no repetitive melody. Hip-hop is not.

This "definition" comes from listening for the categorizations as the media implies them, not as the artists do.

#24654 03/26/01 11:46 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
When does art stop being art?

Do you think we should first consider how art *became* art, and not just making? If we can identify how we came to extol it, we might be able to approach the answer-of the gigantic question-you are looking for. [trulykon]

A related observation (not mine) I'll put as a question: is Rap a renaissance of the tradition of oral poetry?

#24655 03/27/01 12:18 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
is Rap a renaissance of the tradition of oral poetry?

A continuation of the tradition in a new form, perhaps, but I would not ennoble it with the description Renaissance. Even in my small provincial town of only 50,000, a local tavern holds meetings of "The Live Poets' Society" every other Friday night, where amateur enthusiasts and professional poets alike get to strut their stuff.

#24656 03/27/01 12:30 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I am selfishly going to put mine first, because I want to issue a HUGE WELCOME to the fourth Kentuckian aBoard! Welcome, Larry! Are you by any chance related to Paul Grannis, the only social worker killed in the line of duty in the history of the state? Send private if you'd prefer.

Bob, you described country music as "twangy-wang"--I love it! We sang Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah yesterday, too!

#24657 03/27/01 12:49 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
We sang Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah yesterday, too!

Here, that magnificent hymn has been reworded to "Guide Me O Thou Great Redeemer". I still think that it should only be sung by massed Welsh voices, at say, Cardiff Arms, to put the fear of Jehovah into opposing Rugby teams.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 621 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith