Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#24509 04/10/01 11:59 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Absolutely so, mav.
I have noticed, BTW, that when a person coins a new couplet, they will very often quote it in full, and it is only when a few people have adopted it (or if there are strangers in the camp) that it gets shortened to just the first word. Unless, of course, they are using it to test the quick-wittedness of there Chinas, in which case it can become a competition.

#24510 04/10/01 12:13 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
transferred from the neanderthal threadOn another matter entirely, for the sake of conserving the dwindling reservoir of posts, does UK "arse" actually come from the Romanish "karsi," after all, and not the plowshare's stubborn friend? ("karsi," according to the most recent rhyming slang post, is Romanish for "latrine," was picked up by street kids in 18C or 19C as part of their slang and would seem to make more sense as the source of "arse." But, then, all sense is seeming

No, "arse" comes into the English language very early on - it is of Teutonic provenance and could have come in via the Norsemen or the Saxons. Words of Romany origin are more likely to be allied to the languages of India.

by street kids in 18C or 19C - "barrow-boys" weren't the same as street kids, and the term could be applied as well to a man of 80 as to one of 18. I'm not sure when that term came into use, incidentally - I think it is probably a C20 invention. In the previous century, street traders were know as costermongers (literally, sellers of apples - although it covered all forms of produce)

#24511 04/11/01 08:55 AM
R
addict
addict
R
Hilary, thanks for the correction on the "Jack" = "Jack Jones" = "Alone". I had expected the much more commonly used expression (to me anyway) "on his Todd" and tried to mix the two.

Thanks also for the information on "karsi". I had (incorrectly) assumed that it arrived in English with the 8th Army from Egypt, as I think shufti and bint did.

Can anyone think of any words from backslang to enter the common language apart from "yob"? And is backslang itself still in use anywhere? I know my sister and her school friends used a backslang (I think they called it "Pig Latin") but they discovered to their cost that one of the mothers was still fluent from her childhood.

Rod

#24512 04/11/01 11:40 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
In reply to:

Can anyone think of any words from backslang to enter the common language apart from "yob"? And is backslang itself still in use anywhere? I know my sister and her school friends used a backslang (I think they called it "Pig Latin")

Pig Latin is alive and well, but I am unaware of any Igpay Atinlay formations which have entered general use except for "ixnay," usually used to discontinue a conversation upon the approach of an authority. I've never heard "yob" in use, but I don't have a lot of exposure to the population groups you would expect to be using the term.

My grandfather taught me Pig Latin. He was born in 1908. I wonder how far back it goes?

#24513 04/11/01 11:54 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
You also asked about "Tile", Rod:
"Oh, where did you get that hat
Where did you get that tile,
Isn't it a nobby one
and just the proper style!"

#24514 04/11/01 12:45 PM
R
addict
addict
R
Thanks, Hilary. I know the song but had forgotten it. I had remembered its use in "Any Old Iron" where it's ambiguous. But is Tile=Hat from association with roof tiles or from a rhyme, or what?
Rod

#24515 04/11/01 10:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"barrow-boys" weren't the same as street kids, and the term could be applied as well to a man of 80 as to one of 18. I'm not sure when that term came into use

Weren't they so called because they trundled their wares in
(wheel)barrows?

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The subject of a famous song, Molly Malone, "who wheeled her wheelbarrow through streets long and narrow," has been honored by having a statue portraying the fictional lady built in Dublin, Ireland.
The Dubliners have nicknamed the statue "The tart with a cart."

I understand there are other statues in Dublin with sobriquets spawned by the wicked Irish sense of humor.

Anyone?
wow

R
addict
addict
R
Statues in Dublin (and very fine they are too)

Tart with the Cart ..... Molly Malone of the song
Hags with the Bags ..... Two ladies shopping
Floozie in the Jacuzzi... A woman (Anna Livia - Of James Joyce) in a tub with fountain
Fag on the Crag ..... Oscar Wilde
Dick with the Stick ..... James Joyce

I googled to get Anna Livia's name and was reminded that Molly is also known as "The dish with the fish". And also found out that a lift (sorry - elavator) they have installed on a chimney stack is now known as "the flue with the view".
http://www.rootsweb.com/~fianna/travel/dubltour.html has pictures of some of the statues.

Rod

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and after Nelson's pillar was first blown up-- some time back in the late '60's, (68? 69?) the remaining ruble was called nelson's tomb-- eventually it was total removed.

age 8 i learned Molly Malone as a "recitation piece" i still know the three verses.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith