Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2428 03/29/01 01:27 AM
M
stranger
stranger
M
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Your responses are a clear illustration of how defining a word is a subjective task. Have you seen the current issue of Harper's? D.F. Wallace talks about this.*

Like a true work of art, I am proud that the word I coined (surely someone else has said this before, yet it was an original thought) has taken a life of its own and that people are choosing to define it as they see fit.

*I haven't finished the article. Perhaps tonight?

M
stranger
stranger
M
Another driving word--this one from my friend Brian: "nagivator" - a person who sits in the passenger seat of a car and tells the driver how to drive; (back seat driver)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I dunno, i like navigators-- but i don't like back seat drivers. one is responible for watch for detour sign, or exits, or looking for street numbers... the other is critical (go faster, go slower, WATCH OUT!) -- all sorts of negative stuff.

and navigator and nagivator are too close...

#2431 05/03/01 08:35 PM
S
S
Welcome Molly Dodd,

I love stoptional too! How about beautumous - beautiful/fabulous.

#2432 05/04/01 11:41 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Haha, Satin! "Beautimous" is a part of the lexicon in my home. Before we go out, I excuse myself to (try to) make myself beautimous. In what context do you use "beautumous?"

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
My Dad used nagivator to describe my Mom sitting in the passenger seat, whether or not she was giving directions. It's become a sort of sly but endearing insult in our family.

And beautimous is the superlative form of beautiful, of course. It's the shortened and Anglicized form of the Latin expression "beautimus maximus," which is still heard occasionally in our household to express supreme and unequalled beauty. E.g., "Crystal, the pretty girl cat, is beautimus maximus after her bath!"

S
S
When looking at spring flowers that take your breath away, like a grove of sweet smelling lilacs - That's beautimous!

Being involved in many Antique Automobile groups and attending many tours in same, I am always the navigator. My spouse needs both hands and sometimes both feet to operate said machinery and cannot include map/directions reading to the responsibilities. I don't mind the term at all.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
NAGIVATOR IS AN excellent word MollyDodd. I will surely use it tomorrow on my husband who will be such a nagivator when he rides with me as I drive.

chronist

#2436 05/20/01 01:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Molly asks: Have you seen the current issue of Harper's? D.F. Wallace talks about this.

Yep, there's a whiole thread "above the fold" about his article. (Gee, I should take my own advice and venture below screen more often! ) I even sent a copy of it to a poor fellow AWADer who doesn't have Harper's available at his local newsstand. hi, mav!

#2437 09/16/01 07:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I used to live with a person that ALWAYS sped up for yellow lights. You could tell it was him by the scream heard as we passed through "You just ran ANOTHER orange light!" I was the Nagivator but at least I was only complaining about the things he did that could get me killed. If I had the courage to take the wheel while he was the Nagivator, it would be all I could do not to screech to a halt by the side of the road, get out of the car and throw out my thumb. Whew! Glad that's over!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith