Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
OK, now -- When you want to know something, go to them what knows : Called my American Automobile Association (AAA) and got this answer:
"The mileage between Montreal and Hampton, NH, is 321 miles and it will take approximately 5.8 hours to travel going 55 mph. We just thought you would like to know that on our internet site (www.aaanne.com) you are able to look
up mileage. It is a relatively new option."

So off I went to that site and when I asked it said :
"Mileage from Montreal, PQ to New York City, NY:366 miles
(589 km.)"
Just 45 miles difference! I give up! {cross eyed emoticon}
Madness!
wow

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dead belM

my GOODNESS, was that freudian or intentional???

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Dead belM

Heyyyyy! Don't be doin' any of that hoodoo voodoo stuff on me there wow. Undo that hex right now!!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
dead belM

Well, Sweetie, at least we know you aren't dead! Oh, I needed a good laugh! Oh my goodness, wow, that's one for the books! If she spake truly, bel, I guess I'll have to join you--I've been known to cover nearly 200 miles in 2½ hours. I LOVE to drive fast, and one of my dreams is to get out on the salt flats in a vehicle that can take the speed. What I'm driving now won't--I kind of pushed it too hard once, trying to get from my beloved friend's memorial service to my daughter's competition. The Check Engine light came on, and ever since then I get a valve rattle when I go above 75 mph. Phooey.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I just love this Board, I really do. Mass invitations to visit transmogrified into the girls trying to prove who the biggest hoon on the road is!

Thanks ladies, it reconfirms my faith in the total inability of the Board to have a thread start in one place, travel steadily through it and end at the logical conclusion. And, from the sound of it, at a reasonable speed...

I also have to say that I'm overwhelmed at the number of you who believe that meeting me in the flesh will somehow enrich your existences. Thank you one and all, and we'll do our best to do your invitations some justice. We are both very gratified.

And while I don't want a dead BelM, I'd live with a dead BelAire! (Just dragging the conversation back to Chevvies)

David

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie-- go to a racing school! I am planning a weekend in the early summer at Limerock CT-- where there is a car racing school. You get to race in their cars-- and you are also trained on how to steer out of skid-- most places have a skid pad-- a patch of road that is so slippy you are forced into a skid-- and the area is surround by bales of hay-- to make for an "easy crash zone". But because you do learn how to handle skids-- the race driving schools actually qualify you for a discount on your auto insurance!

Limerock CT is not convenient to Kentucky-- but i bet there is an other school offering the same type course-- Auto companies have offered them for years in the Detroit area-- and surprizingly, women are usually more interested in them then men (theory is most men are firmly convinced that they are good lover and good drivers and don't have to go to no stinkin' school to learn anything about doing either!)

I speed too, and i figure i should go to school and learn how to do it right! and if i get an insurance discount to do so, well all the better!

#24266 03/27/01 03:00 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear, dear, *dear* BelM,
No hex intended ... but I went back and edited it out ... so others will now be totally bumfoozeled if they try to figure out this exchange.
I think it was brain slippage because I was thinking that "Speed Kills" and I was worried that something might happen to you. Then I wrote the ing post about your coming thru NH -- the "joke" implied being I'd stay off the road on those days.
So if there was any hoodoo voodoo it was a *Protective* one for you when you are on the road.

As a reporter I went to a lot of accident scenes -- most the result of excess speed -- and it has made me a more careful driver. I drive a Saab and keep speeds to a max of 70 when passing on Interstates with a 65 mph speed limit.
Here's a hint for all of you on US Interstates around New England: you will be ticketed if your speed exceeds 71 mph.
My source is excellent! And in NH, the police used fixed wing aircraft to monitor highways ... not helicopters!
Happy and safe travellin',
wow

#24267 03/27/01 03:04 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Vermont's a little more free-wheeling, but watch yourself within 5 or 10 miles of White River and don't say I ever told you to drive faster than 65

#24268 03/27/01 04:06 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
the police used fixed wing aircraft

There was a story that made me chuckle recently on the BBC. A sargeant and a constable were pointing a speed-gun (radar) up the hill on a long stright road on the Scottish borders. Suddenly, as a car came over the brow of the hill the radar started going mad - "Christ, Sarge, it's clocking two hundred....!" The recorded speed shot up and up to over 360, then the machine had the electronic equivalent of a massive heart attack as a plane roared overhead.

When making enquiries later, the police contacted the local RAF base, from which NATO craft were on maneouvres. Yes, said a frosty voice, they could help unscramble the radar gun, but they wern't going to: "You locked onto one of our planes, and were only seconds away from an automated air-to-ground missile response. Go away and play with your toy somewhere else!"

#24269 03/27/01 04:11 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Plane rushing past
Going too fast
Missile in the sky
Kiss ass goodbye
BURMA SHAVE

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 342 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith