Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
#24310 04/19/01 10:17 AM
B
addict
addict
B
Hoon is a great word and thank you for sharing it with us. It has absolutely the right kind of sound to express the intended contempt. I promise to use it each day this week, and when anyone asks me, I will tell them it is ZILD!

Umm... did I miss CapK's evidence that this was a ZILD word first and foremost? Don't ask me, I'm just an innocent (?!) [POM] abroad, but I'd say on the evidence at the moment the national origin of this word remains unproven.

Is CapK more reliable than an internet dictionary?
Is that an insult or a compliment?

Just asking... [running-off-to-hide-from-the-trans-Tasman-flak-emoticon]

#24311 04/20/01 12:03 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Umm... did I miss CapK's evidence that this was a ZILD word first and foremost? Don't ask me, I'm just an innocent (?!) [POM] abroad, but I'd say on the evidence at the moment the national origin of this word remains unproven.

Is CapK more reliable than an internet dictionary?
Is that an insult or a compliment?

Just asking... [running-off-to-hide-from-the-trans-Tasman-flak-emoticon]

And there I was just a few hundred miles south of you all last week! No, the claim was made on the basis that Google didn't turn up any evidence of origin or usage, so I stated that it might be a Zildism. I now have renewed first-hand evidence that the Ozzies are much better hoons than we are ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#24312 04/20/01 01:17 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
The real question is, what is it about the West Island that makes even transplanted poms living there reluctant to concede the possibility that any word used on both sides of the Tasman originated here?

#24313 04/20/01 07:53 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
NZ's system is a universal Goods & Service Tax of 12.5% on all goods and services ... Australia's system ....is unbelievably labrynthine

Hot off the press:

Gov. Jean Shaheen's proposal to institute a sales tax in New Hampshire was defeated by vote of the Legislature today.
New Hampshire is currently the only state in the Union which has neither a sales or income tax.
Come to God's country, you poor benighted souls!
We hold the lamp beside the tax free door!
wow
What whinger mentioned NH property tax ? Speak up! I want to know right now.

#24314 04/20/01 08:54 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
NZ's system is a universal Goods & Service Tax of 12.5% on all goods and services ... Australia's system ....is unbelievably labrynthine

Just how labyrinthine was demonstrated amply at Malbun airport the other day. We bought two boxes of chocolates (total price A$27.50). The sales assistant, sweet girl, asked us if we wanted to claim the GST back since we were leaving the country. SWMBO - an accountant, remember - agreed that it would be a good idea. I suspiciously commented that we shouldn't bother if it was going to take some effort. I've done this in Singapore. We were talking about A$2.75's worth of GST, remember.

The girl said brightly that it was no bother at all. Okay, so here was the process:

1. She produced a foolscap form which had dunnamany blocks to fill in. She had to write down SWMBO's name and passport number. A detailed description of the goods and the pre-GST and GST-inclusive price followed. SWMBO then had to fill in her address in New Zealand and the date of departure from Oz.

2. Sales girl then had to sight and write down the number of SWMBO's air ticket, the flight number, the destination and the time of departure. Not from the boarding pass, but the ticket itself. This caused a rapid rummage through a shoulder bag.

3. Sales lady and SWMBO then both had to sign the form.

4. Sales person then filled out yet another form, kinda the opposite of a GST invoice. An un-GST invoice, presumably.

5. The goods then went into a special plastic bag that had "GST Exempt - keep in sight at all times" plastered all over it. A copy of the un-GST invoice went in with the chocolates.

6. Another copy of the un-GST invoice was then sealed (stapled) into a small plastic bag which was then stapled to the larger plastic bag.

Groovy, huh? A simple process.

Oh, and there was a (7). On our way down the jetway to the plane, a woman grabbed the big plastic bag from SWMBO and tore off the smaller plastic bag with the un-GST invoice in it. That appeared to be her entire job.

I didn't say a word through any of this. One knows when to keep one's mouth firmly shut after 17 years ...

New Hampshire is currently the only state in the Union which has neither a sales or income tax.

Sponging off neighbouring states, eh, Wow? That's the ticket!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#24315 04/21/01 02:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, but these states aren't that united.

#24316 04/21/01 05:19 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

Sponging off neighbouring states, eh, Wow? That's the ticket!

Just a gol'dern minute there!
We do it the right way : soak the property owners and tax the Booze & cigarettes.
We call 'em Sintaxes!

#24317 04/21/01 05:30 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<apropos nothing but new hampshire>>

Wow, do you remember this case from many years back? A New Hampshire man was convicted for removing the state motto from his license plates and he challenged the law before the US Supreme Court. The NH state motto, for those who don't know, is "Live free or die."

#24318 04/21/01 05:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just a gol'dern minute there!
We do it the right way : soak the property owners and tax the Booze & cigarettes.
We call 'em Sintaxes!

What rate do you pay for property taxes? ours is, i believe, 1% of assessed property value each year. we also have the Sintaxes on cigarettes, though i'm not sure if alcohol is taxed; i've never checked.

between state and federal taxes in CA, we give up about 50% of each paycheck. in my next life i'm going to live in NH

#24319 04/21/01 05:41 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear IP: I remember the case, but don't remember how he made out. There is such a thing as appropriate civil disobedience, but he was a jerk. I'm sure New Hampshire has a law forbidding altering licence plates in any way or even covering up part of them. If he wanted to campaign to have the State change the plates, fine. If his arrogance got him a bruise, I have no sympathy for him.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 450 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith