Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
addict
addict
H
Must agree that I find typos very distracting. I've sometimes considered setting up a little business offering to read restaurants' menus for them to look for this and other problems, as it seems to be such a common place to find them.

My tendencies in this regard probably spring from the fact that I was raised by a professional editor and ESL (English as Second Language, in case it's not a common abbreviation outside the US) teacher who was pretty dang nitpicky herself. Or maybe I was just born to be a pain in the ass.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Typos, wherever they appear, scream at me. I get no rest from typos. Both typos and factual errors.

I am sure that most who post here share this aversion. I remember being moved as a ten-year old to write an indignant letter to a UK periodical which had stated that Oliver Cromwell was the only Lord Protector of the Realm in the period between Charles I and II.

R
R
I too am annoyed by typos, but what I really dislike is when the writers put their brains on autopilot and don't check the article after it has been mauled by a spell checker.

The local newspaper had a review of the new VW Jetta station wagon. It stated that it had not been offered in this conflagration in Canada before. (Perhaps Jetta is German for Ford Pinto?)

An article a few years ago in the Vancouver Province (a major daily) about a charity hockey game between Los Angeles police officers and NHL oldtimers. Man was changed to person in every case. John Smith, a defenceperson for the Dallas Stars...

On a restaurant menu... Roast Beef with Au Jus.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
The local newspaper had a review of the new VW Jetta station wagon. It stated that it had not been offered in this conflagration in Canada before.

But how can one get angry with a gaffe that makes one laugh so much?

#22800 03/15/01 07:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...Except for Jackie's post on Peltzer.

Rules, dammit, where are the rules??!!

enthusiast
enthusiast
I've sometimes considered setting up a little business offering to read restaurant's menus..

I have often considered offering my services as proofreader to my University newspaper, due to the constant and egregious errors found therein. Like some of you mentioned, I see typos right away-- they seem to be printed in red ink! Fortunately, my parents share this trait, so I don't unduly annoy anyone by constantly pointing out nitpicky errors.

N
N
Are any of you cursed with the tendency to find typos everywhere you look?

What about deliberate typographical "errors"? Not just "Nu" for new, or "EZ" for easy, but small typographical errors used intentionally to catch the eye of the pedantic? I'm still a stranger here, but I see that some regulars have experience in various media. Of them I ask, do deliberate typographical "errors" exist, or are they merely the product of a cynical imagination?

F
addict
addict
F
An article a few years ago in the Vancouver Province (a major daily) about a charity hockey game between Los Angeles police officers and NHL oldtimers. Man was changed to person in every case. John Smith, a defenceperson for the Dallas Stars...

They misspelled defense, too!

Flatlander

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Oliver Cromwell was the only Lord Protector of the Realm in the period between Charles I and II.

Dear Max: His son being the second?

N
N
In reply to:

Man was changed to person in every case. John Smith, a defenceperson for the Dallas Stars...

They misspelled defense, too!

Only if you follow Noachian orthography.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith