Next Thread
Print Thread
P
poster Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Hello Wordsmithers, I'm an artist currently working on a project that would benefit from a kind of antonym for the word "anniversary" – the idea being that this word would mean something like "a date that commemorates an event that will happen in the future". I suppose it's a little like a countdown, but the idea would be that this word could refer to (for example) a day exactly 10 years before something happens.

I think it would work best if the word was constructed with plausible etymology, and should at least sound like it's a real word. Then again, I'm open to all ideas – perhaps the rule is simply that if it sounds right, it is right.

The project launches in a couple of months and I'd love to hear from anyone who fancies having a crack at this before then!

D
stranger
stranger
D
Well . . . that is a challenge. I hope I am not too late for your needs. You could try . . . precursoversary. Precursor is something that comes before, or in some definitions an advanced message of something to come. So a percursoversary would be the turning back to something that is to come. Anniversary is composed of yearly and turning, so returning to something yearly. So a precursoversary would be turning to something that is to come or that comes before. We get the word verse from the same root, where the line turns in a poem. You could play with the spelling. I couldn't figure a way to say yearly without making the word too cumbersome to say easily. I hope that might at least give you some idea how it might be done. You project sounds fascinating! Good luck!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
WELCOME TO YOU BOTH

----please, draw me a sheep----
old hand
old hand
Anticiversary?

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 674 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith