Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#22491 03/13/01 02:29 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Shoshanna>my choice of New York as the origin of one of the characters in the short story I wrote...

The advice "write what you know" ... may be particularly apt in the case of your transplant-from-USA young male character. Unless you happen to know a lot about the reactions of a New York City lad occasioned by living a NYC life, then I'd recommend using the North Carolina background as your past Posts indicate you know about how young people live and learn there.
Editors cannot resist editing, even when retired. Your pardon for butting in, is asked in advance.
wow

#22492 03/13/01 03:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
> Every writer has received rejection
> slips; too many of them for most. The "Financial Times"
> has quoted the "mother of all rejection slips", translated
> from a Chinese economic journal. It goes like this:
>
> We have read your manuscript with boundless delight. If
> we were to publish your paper, it would be impossible for
> us to publish any work of lower standard. And as it is
> unthinkable that in the next thousand years we shall see
> its equal, we are, to our regret, compelled to return your
> divine composition, and to beg you a thousand times to
> overlook our short sight and timidity.

here's one from the other end of the spectrum:

I can almost see why you would waste your time by writing this, but I cannot even comprehend why you would waste mine, by sending it to me.

#22493 03/13/01 03:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We have read your manuscript with boundless delight. If
we were to publish your paper, it would be impossible for
us to publish any work of lower standard. And as it is
unthinkable that in the next thousand years we shall see
its equal, we are, to our regret, compelled to return your
divine composition, and to beg you a thousand times to
overlook our short sight and timidity.

Till you get to the end, this could be taken either way.

#22494 03/13/01 03:47 PM
wow>Unless you happen to know a lot about the reactions of a New York City lad occasioned by living a NYC life, then I'd recommend using the North Carolina background as your past Posts indicate you know about how young people live and learn there.

Thanks for the suggestion, BUT I know a whole lot more about how a 11-year-old religious Jewish boy has grown up in New York than the same in North Carolina! Besides that, this has less to do with the growing up years and more to do about the adventures of these two boys in Israel! I have had 12 or so children in that age group read the story and each one said it was great! When I asked if they would buy such a story, they replied that they would; and when I asked if they would enjoy seeing a series with these two boys roaming around Israel dicovering things, they asked when such a series would be available!

So, I just have to sit down and work on them!

I'll let you know when I find a suitable publisher, though it will most probably be someone here in Israel.

Shoshannah

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#22495 03/13/01 10:57 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
what's Cincinnati like anyway?

Well, Cincinnati is a nice Mid-western city with a rich history of riverboats, the Underground Railroad and pigs. It's in the top 15, I think, largest metro areas in the nation (not totally sure on that) and it's been consistently ranked as one of the best cities in the US to live in. It's not too big that you can't find your way around or that people are very impersonal and it's not too small that there's nothing to do. We have the Reds and the Begals and we're bidding for the 2012 Olympics. There are extensive plans to revitalize the riverfront including the contruction of an Underground Railroad museum.

#22496 03/13/01 11:55 PM
H
addict
addict
H
what's Cincinnati like anyway?

It's also got the best ice cream I've found anywhere, and I've looked far and wide. There's a small chain of bakery/ice cream shops in Cincinnati that makes wonderful, wonderful stuff - they make their own chocolate and in their chocolate chip flavors they pour liquid chocolate into the ice cream as it's being made, it hardens instantly and is broken up as it's stirred in, so you get enormous, delicious chocolate chips.

Oh, this is the language forum, not that ice cream forum I haunt? Back to business.

An interesting language note about Cincinnati then. It was once called Losanteville, explained thusly: the "L" is for the Licking River, which flows into the Ohio River at Cinci, "os" is mouth, "ante" is before/across, and ville is obvious. So, it's the city across from the mouth of the Licking River.

[/end distribution of mindless trivia about a place I do not live but where I got family]

#22497 03/14/01 12:04 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Thanks for the info on Cincinnati. Sounds dandy. My question was kind of targeted at the 'it's not an interesting place' suggestee. Nevertheless ... I'm intrigued now thoguh .. I went searching to find where exactly it is! I wondered whether Licking River flows into the Ohio River?

#22498 03/14/01 04:08 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Nevertheless ... I'm intrigued now

Hope you're taking notes?

#22499 03/14/01 05:49 PM
H
addict
addict
H
I wondered whether Licking River flows into the Ohio River?

Yes it does. It flows north from Jackie-country and then along the Ohio/Kentucky border to the Mississippi (only included all that info 'cuz I enjoy typing the name of Ol' Muddy).

#22500 03/14/01 10:29 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Hmm. . . I've never heard of the Losanteville name. It was originally the location of a pre-US independence fort: Fort Washington. Now Fort Washington Way is the name of the merger of about 3 interstate highways right in front of the city. Interestingly this effectively splits the city from the riverfront. The sports stadiums and riverfront stuff are on one side, the big buildings are on the other. They now have roads about FWW and they're planning on covering the gaps with little parks.

Hyla, the ice cream company to which you refer is Graeter's and I must whole-heartedly concur. It is very good ice cream.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith