Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#22367 03/11/01 08:19 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
This morning I have noticed that when I enter each forum, no individual posts show up as unread. A thread containing unread posts might have the first post highlighted in the usual fashion, but even that has been inconsistent. I read in flat moide, and I have to just click on the threads at the top of the page, and look for the "new" icon on individual posts, and add up the number to match the (x new) that shows on the start page. This minor irritant has reminded me how useful it would be if the board software were updated so that each of us saw posts listed in our local times, making it much easier to keep track of read and unread. Perhaps someone to whom Anu is willing to reply could enquire about this? Thanks.

#22368 03/11/01 09:10 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Max: I'm not sure I understand what you are driving at. (Hi Shoshannah!) When I enter the board, there is a little number in parentheses after the title of each forum telling how many new posts there are,and when I go into each forum, there is a little new sign at the end of some thread titles, showing me where to look. And they are erased after I have looked at them. What more could I ask?

#22369 03/11/01 10:13 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Hi bill here's what I at driving am. I get the little blue number telling me how many posts in each forum, so far, so good. Normally whenI go into each forum, every new post will have the little icon (most often the open book) a different colour, a sort of burnt orange, instead of yellow. This is a visual clue highlighting unread posts. Today, the litlle icon thingys are staying stubbornly yellow. It's this sort of thing that makes me wish the Board would show posts in the local time on each PC, so that, for example, if I log off at 09:00 my time, and log back on at 10:30, I can just look for posts made in the interval. That is much easier than trying to converty the times displayed from Central Standard or whatever it is.

#22370 03/11/01 10:17 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Sorry not to shed any light on your subject, but my peeve with the new tags is that after you enter a section of the board, all of the tags in that section disappear, even if you haven't read them. It would be much better if the tags didn't disappear until you actually went into the thread because sometimes you might not have time to read a whole section, but a few threads of the section is feasible.

#22371 03/11/01 10:25 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
but my peeve with the new tags is that after you enter a section of the board, all of the tags in that section disappear, even if you haven't read them

Yes, that is a bit annoying isn't it, said Max, griping and edging closer to veteran status.

#22372 03/11/01 10:28 PM
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Hmmm... strange. The icon "thingies" are always like that on mine!

-Scott rough_collie@dog.com

#22373 03/11/01 11:26 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Max: I've been getting all the things you mention. Maybe some hex has been put on you, to make you have to post extra to get well deserved status recognition. I once did a little work making Pennsylvania Dutch hex emblems to be displayed. Incidentally I think it was tsuwm recently referred to snollygosters. The only time I ever saw that in print was a Truman gibe in press conference at some of his opponents. Allegedly it is corruption of P-D schnellegeister, mildly malicious spirits. Hope none of them are hostile to you. Bill

I sure wish the time shown was more easily understood.

#22374 03/12/01 02:42 AM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Max : I get a little black tab and inside it the word "new" in yellow at top of new posts.
All times for me are in Eastern Standard Time and I recall someone from mid-west said their time showed in Central time.

JazzO if you use the back arrow to get back to the category you will keep the new tags. The new tags disappear when you click on new category. At least for me ....

Where are you Jackie? Taking a day off? Or out shovelling snow off your roof?
wow

#22375 03/12/01 03:18 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
While this is a YART - Mav started one off on this very topic late last year from memory - the fact is that the software, believe it or not, has bugs. A number of them are merely annoying, others are downright pains in the ass (or arse, if you're British).

The lack of consistency with the New tag is a niggle which is actually, I think, the result of faulty design or a deliberate design decision. Perhaps this is because otherwise the board database would have to record every single thread that you've opened against your name. If you start adding them up over time it comes to a lot. Each time you entered a thread, the system would have to check if you've read it before and flag it accordingly. It's much easier to simply record the last time that you entered the category and then compare the date of the posts in each thread with the last time you entered it, flagging all posts posted since then as New.

It would be no problem to have the local time displayed for each user, and if fact I understand this feature is available, just not enabled.

Anu may simply not see it as a priority to tune the board software! We'd do it for him, wouldn't we, Max?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#22376 03/12/01 03:59 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
wow, my poor language skills are not helping communicate what's happening clearly, so I have resorted to my even worse visual skills. At this URL http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/maxq/Now_no_new.jpg you can see what the Miscellany forum looked like when I opened it to reply to you. This is how it has looked all day. This URL
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/maxq/Before_new.jpg shows an example of what it used to look like. I have manually coloured in the book icons next your post and that from CapK, both new for me. That orange highlighting made it so much easier to know which threads had new posts. I still get the "new" icon above each individual post in a thread. Please accept my apologies for failing to express myself more clearly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith