Page 62 of 109 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 108 109
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

CHARLATAN

PRONUNCIATION: (SHAHR-luh-tuhn)

MEANING: noun: One making false claim to having a certain expertise; a fraud or quack.

ETYMOLOGY: From French charlatan, from Italian ciarlatano, from cerretano (an inhabitant of Cerreto). Cerreto is a village in Umbria, Italy, once known for its quacks. Another etymology pins the origin of the term on the Italian ciarlare (to chatter), of imitative origin. Perhaps the word charlatan is a blend of the two, as charlatans are known for chattering. Earliest documented use: 1607.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
The ideal scientist thinks like a poet and only later works like a bookkeeper. -E.O. Wilson, biologist (b. 10 Jun 1929)

CHARLOTAN - a brown spider who weaves words into her web

CHARLATIN - Virgil's cleaning lady

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

SPANIEL

PRONUNCIATION: (SPAN-yuhl)

MEANING: noun:
1. A submissive or fawning person.
2. Any of several breeds of small to medium-sized dogs with long drooping ears and a silky coat.

ETYMOLOGY: From Old French espaignol/espaigneul (Spanish dog), from Hispaniolus (Spanish), from Hispania (Spain). Earliest documented use: 1386.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object be what it may, -- light, shade, and perspective will always make it beautiful. -John Constable, painter (11 Jun 1776-1837)

SPACI-EL - Superman's ditzy teenage sister, on Krypton

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

JERUSALEM SYNDROME

PRONUNCIATION: (ji-ROOS-uh-luhm SIN-drohm)

MEANING: noun: A phenomenon in which a visitor to a holy place suffers from religious psychosis, such as believing him- or herself to be a messiah.

ETYMOLOGY: After Jerusalem, Israel, where the phenomenon was first described by the psychiatrist Heinz Herman. Earliest documented use: 1987.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: No one has ever become poor by giving. -Anne Frank, Holocaust diarist (12 Jun 1929-1945)

PERUSALEM SYNDROME - the sense of knowledge, empowerment, and righteousness one gets from sufficiently assiduous study of the Holy Writ

wofahulicodoc #221292 06/16/15 01:01 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

TENEBROUS

PRONUNCIATION: (TEN-uh-bruhs)

MEANING: adjective: Dark, gloomy, or obscure.

ETYMOLOGY: From Old French tenebreus, from Latin tenebrosus (dark), from tenebrae (darkness). Earliest documented use: 1420.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: To a father growing old, nothing is dearer than a daughter. -Euripides, playwright (c. 480-406 BCE)

DENEBROUS - Something like a Star

ENEBROUS - drunk and vomiting (compare "inebrous")

Last edited by wofahulicodoc; 06/16/15 01:02 AM.
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

SWIDDEN

PRONUNCIATION: (SWID-n)

MEANING: noun: An area of land cleared for farming by slashing and burning the vegetation.

ETYMOLOGY: A variant of Northern English dialect swithen (to burn), from Old Norse svithna (to be singed). Earliest documented use: 1868.

USAGE:
“Some headed out to the charred earth of their swidden gardens to tend crops of manioc, bananas, and sweet potatoes.”
Chip Brown; Kayapo Courage; National Geographic (Washington, DC); Jan 2014.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: The [Nobel] prize is such an extraordinary honor. It might seem unfair, however, to reward a person for having so much pleasure over the years, asking the maize plant to solve specific problems and then watching its responses. -Barbara McClintock, scientist, Nobel laureate (16 Jun 1902-1992)

SLIDDEN - past tense of "slide;" compare "hide."

USAGE: "The runner slidden to second base ahead of the throw, and the umpire called "Safe!"

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

TURBID

PRONUNCIATION: (TUHR-bid)

MEANING: adjective:
1. Unclear; opaque.
2. Dark or dense, as smog or clouds.
3. Confused or muddled.

ETYMOLOGY: From Latin turba (turmoil, crowd). Earliest documented use: 1626. Not to be confused with turgid.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: Silence will save me from being wrong (and foolish), but it will also deprive me of the possibility of being right. -Igor Stravinsky, composer (17 Jun 1882-1971)

SURBID - Eight spades !

TOURBID - Couldja drive me around town this afternoon and show me the sights for $500?

TURBED - Go away! It's seven in the morning. I said not to wake me up until eleven! Didn't you see the sign I hung on the doorknob?
[ "Do Not Disturb"]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
TURKID IQ and personality of the Thanksgiving delight.

----please, draw me a sheep----
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
PROLEGOMENON

PRONUNCIATION: (pro-li-GOM-uh-non, -nuhn)

MEANING: noun: A critical, introductory discussion, especially an introduction to a text.

ETYMOLOGY: From Greek prolegómenon, from prolegein (to say beforehand), from pro- (before) + legein (to say). Ultimately from the Indo-European root leg- (to collect, speak), which is also the source of other words such as lexicon, lesson, lecture, legible, legal, legend, select, alexia, cull, lection, ligneous, lignify, subintelligitur, and syllogistic. Earliest documented use: 1600.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian. -Paul McCartney, singer-songwriter, composer, poet, and activist (b. 18 Jun 1942)

PRO-LEGO-MELON - in favor of cantaloupe made of many small brightly-colored interlocking plastic blocks

Last edited by wofahulicodoc; 06/19/15 01:27 AM.
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

FRUCTUOUS

PRONUNCIATION: (FRUHK-choo-uhs, FROOK-)

MEANING: adjective: Productive; fruitful; fertile.

ETYMOLOGY: From Latin fructus (fruit), from frui (to enjoy). Earliest documented use: 1382.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -Blaise Pascal, philosopher and mathematician (19 Jun 1623-1662)

FRICTUOUS - rough, scratchy

FRUSTUOUS - like a pedestal with a flat top and slanted sides

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

PRECIPITOUS

PRONUNCIATION: (pri-SIP-i-tuhs)

MEANING: adjective:
1. Resembling a precipice, a cliff with a nearly vertical overhanging face.
2. Extremely steep.
3. Abrupt, rapid, or hasty (applied to a worsening situation).

ETYMOLOGY: From obsolete French précipiteux, from Latin praecipitare (to cast down headlong), from prae- (before) + caput (head). Ultimately from the Indo-European root kaput- (head), also the origin of head, captain, chef, chapter, cadet, cattle, chattel, achieve, biceps, mischief, occiput, recapitulate, and capitation. Earliest documented use: 1646.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: Him that I love, I wish to be free -- even from me. -Anne Morrow Lindbergh, author and aviator (22 Jun 1906-2001)

PRECIPITONS - what you use to help you climb a nearly vertical overhanging face

PRECIPITORUS - raining doughnuts

Page 62 of 109 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 108 109

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith