Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Isn't it ironic that you had to use a French -- or is it Latin? -- term to describe what English has become?

Lingua Franca is Latin for the Frankish language, aka Sabir (link), a kind of pidgin used in the Mediterranean and based on Italian.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

We don't have a national language.
Replacement: Spanish.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The Lingua franca of the Mediterranean or Sabir ("know") was a pidgin language used as a Lingua franca in the Mediterranean Basin from the 11th to the 19th century and is the original basis for the word lingua franca.

I know the comparison is slightly askew, but reading this makes me think of a doorbell used as a doorbell.
( unlike the other ones mentioned such as papiamento etc.)
Welcome back.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8

We don't have a national language.

That is a very good thing of course. Canada does have two offical though languages though does it not?

Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
Replacement: Spanish.
Spanish is replacing English in Canada? Is that serious, or just xenophobia talking?

old hand
old hand
New Zealand has Three official languages. English, Maori, and NZ sign language. A gardening programme on TV featured all three simultaneously. Spoken Maori, English subtitles, and a person signing in an inset. Interesting to watch. The programme was about traditional maori planting techniques.

P
P
Originally Posted By: Zed
I think bi-( let alone multi-) lingualism enriches Canada rather than ripping it. After all the English were just one of the immigrant groups, and not the first either. ( In my part of Canada there are more native speakers of Mandarin and Punjabi than of French but English is going strong. )

The USA does not have an official language either although there have been repeated attempts to make English such. In my locale, English and Spanish are predominant although there are some Asian languages as well. Many of the public schools have a bi-lingual approach using both English and Spanish.

But the one that bemuses me the most is the Braile on drive-through ATMs. ?!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: PastorVon

You would rather they have to go to the expense of making separate keypads for drive-through ATMs and walk-up ATMs. Not to mention the simple fact that a blind person can sit in the back seat of a car on the driver's side and operate the ATM from there.

P
P
Originally Posted By: Faldage

You would rather they have to go to the expense of making separate keypads for drive-through ATMs and walk-up ATMs. Not to mention the simple fact that a blind person can sit in the back seat of a car on the driver's side and operate the ATM from there.

No. Actually, I was not thinking of the keypads. I was picturing a blind person driving.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Faldage

No. Actually, I was not thinking of the keypads. I was picturing a blind person driving.

Well, there you go. Then maybe you've never driven in Boston.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome back.

Thanks, Brannie. It was fun listening to the Flemish speakers in Belgium. I'd start off asking something in my halting French, they would answer in Flemish, I'd switch to German, and they'd finish in English. The beer and chocolate were great though in any language and on every tongue.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith