Page 61 of 109 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 108 109
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

SOI-DISANT

PRONUNCIATION: (swa-dee-ZAN)

MEANING: adjective: Self-styled; so-called.

ETYMOLOGY: From French soi-disant (self-styled, so-called) from soi (oneself) + disant (saying). Earliest documented use: 1752.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. -William Pitt, British prime minister (28 May 1759-1806)

SO I.D. ISN'T - and therefore no on can tell who I am...

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

LAISSER-ALLER

PRONUNCIATION: (les-ay-ah-LAY)

MEANING: noun: Unrestrained freedom.

ETYMOLOGY: From French laisser-aller (to allow to go). Earliest documented use: 1842.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today. -John F. Kennedy, 35th US president (29 May 1917-1963)

BLAISSER-ALLER - Thank Goodness he's going

LAISSER-ALTER - take it to the tailor, it needs to be let out a little across the shoulders

LA KISSER-ALLER -
1. (French) Loves 'em and leaves 'em
2. (English) promiscuous

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

SINECURE

PRONUNCIATION: (SY-ni-kyoor, SIN-i-)

MEANING: noun: A position in which one is paid for little or no work.

ETYMOLOGY: From Latin beneficium sine cura (a church position not involving caring for the souls of the parishioners), from sine (without) + cura (care). Earliest documented use: 1662.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: War is merely the continuation of policy by other means. -Carl von Clausewitz, general and military theorist (1 Jun 1780-1831

SEINECURÉ - the priest in Notre Dame cathedral

SHINECURE - fighting depression with high-gloss shoes

SINECURVE - ~

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

PATHOGRAPHY

PRONUNCIATION: (puh-THOG-ruh-fee)

MEANING: noun: A biography that focuses on the negative.

ETYMOLOGY: From Greek patho- (suffering, disease) + -graphy (writing). In the beginning, pathography was a description of a disease. Then the word came to be applied to the study of an individual or a community as relating to the influence of a disease. Now the term mostly refers to a biography focusing on the negative. Earliest documented use: 1848.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: The business of the poet and the novelist is to show the sorriness underlying the grandest things and the grandeur underlying the sorriest things. -Thomas Hardy, novelist and poet (2 Jun 1840-1928)

PATH-O-GRAPH® - A toy that draws mazes

PATIOGRAPHY - The Art of Terrazzo

PLATHOGRAPHY - Who Is Sylvia?

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

PERFORMATIVE

PRONUNCIATION: (puhr-FOR-muh-tiv)

MEANING: adjective: Relating to a statement that functions as an action by the fact of its being uttered.

NOTES: Some examples of performative utterances are I promise, I apologize, I bet, I resign, etc. By saying I promise a person actually performs the act of promising.

ETYMOLOGY: From Old French parfournir, from par (through) + fournir (to furnish). Earliest documented use: 1922.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: There is nothing more dangerous than a government of the many controlled by the few. -Lawrence Lessig, professor and political activist (b. 3 Jun 1961)

APERFORMATIVE - monkey-shaped

PERFORATIVE - pointed

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

STRIDULATE

PRONUNCIATION: (STRIJ-uh-layt)

MEANING: verb intr.: To make a shrill creaking noise by rubbing body parts together.

ETYMOLOGY: From Latin stridere (to make a harsh sound). Earliest documented use: 1838.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire, then you've got a problem. Everything else is an inconvenience...Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy. A lump in the oatmeal, a lump in the throat, and a lump in the breast are not the same kind of lump. One needs to learn the difference. -Robert Fulghum, author (b. 4 Jun 1937)

STRIDULANTE - to make a shrill creaking noise by rubbing together a few chips as you throw them onto the poker table to start the next pot

STRIPULATE - what you may be told when you're tardy at the nudist camp

Last edited by wofahulicodoc; 06/05/15 05:10 PM. Reason: a better daffynition, I presume
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

MALA FIDE

PRONUNCIATION: (MAL-uh FY-dee)

MEANING: adverb, adjective: In bad faith.

ETYMOLOGY: From Latin mala fide, from malus (bad) + fides (faith). Earliest documented use: 1561.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (5 Jun 1823-1909)

MAILAF.I.D.E. - send a letter to the World Chess Federation

MALAFIDO - Bad dog!

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

ANTIMACASSAR

PRONUNCIATION: (an-ti-muh-KAS-suhr)

MEANING: noun: A piece of covering placed over the back or arms of a seat to protect from hair oil, dirt, etc.

ETYMOLOGY: From anti- (against) + Macassar oil (a hair oil), said to be made from ingredients from Macassar (now spelled as Makassar), a city in Indonesia. Earliest documented use: 1852.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: The memory of most men is an abandoned cemetery where lie, unsung and unhonored, the dead whom they have ceased to cherish. -Marguerite Yourcenar, novelist (8 Jun 1903-1987)

ANTIMACATSAR - against selecting an Irishman to be the ruler of all Russia

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W

PODUNK

PRONUNCIATION: (POH-dungk)

MEANING: noun: A small, unimportant town.

ETYMOLOGY: Podunk is the name of a river and a native tribe in Connecticut. Over time the name came to be used for several small towns including a mythical small and insignificant town. Earliest documented use: 1657.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: My sole inspiration is a telephone call from a director. -Cole Porter, composer and songwriter (9 Jun 1893-1964)

PODUCK - Daffy has lost all his money

IODUNK - an antiseptic to dip your boo-boo in

PRODUNK - LeBron James at work

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
POBUNK POLITICIANS whenever they open their mouths.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Page 61 of 109 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 108 109

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith