Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected,
and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made,
we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of war,
and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.
At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty's Government-every man of them.
That is the will of Parliament and the nation.The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need,
will defend to the death their native soil,aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.
Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo
and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,
we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air,
we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe,
this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet,
would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

By: Winston Churchill

Last edited by Bazr; 07/23/14 10:35 AM.

live in the moment
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

That is a criticism up with which I shall not put.

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J

W.C. Fields? He also said...

"I once spent a year in Philadelphia, I think it was on a Sunday."

enthusiast
enthusiast
Winston Churchill once said to a lady, 'your ugly', to which she replied, 'and your drunk'.
Without hesitation; he came back and said, 'yes I am, but I'll be sober in the morning'.

live in the moment
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

T-shirt seen recently:

You know
your a writer
..if you just
winced

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J

The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

— A. A. ______

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted By: jenny jenny

The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

— A. A. Milne

live in the moment
J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J

Right string, right yo-yo, bazro.

The "I'm thinking. I'm thinking!" quote comes from a Jack Benny skit where a gunman corners Benny in a dark alley and threatens "Your money or your life!"... twice. smile

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

...it sure does!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Who performed the classic 'Whose on first' skit?

live in the moment
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith