Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#21458 03/07/01 06:41 PM
In reply to:

do a google search on'kajar dynasty' (163 hits)... founded by Aga Muhammad Khan.

Thanks Tsuwm - I did but had no luck until I found it using either "kadjar" or "qajar"! In searching, spelling is everything!

Shoshannah

By the way - no one answered my question, thus: Have you heard the latest about Red China? Come on - this is a real oldie!

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#21459 03/10/01 08:53 AM
S
stranger
stranger
S
There are around 900 million native Mandarin speakers in the world, only some 70 million Cantonese speakers. Within that mass of Mandarin speakers there are still many dialects which are very hard to understand for speakers of standard Mandarin -- something close to the dialect spoken around Beijing. This standard is also the basis for the national language of Taiwan, where I live. The major differences between what you hear on the streets of Taipei and Beijing are in accent and, in some instances, slight shifts in vocabulary.
More distant dialects may have words that are never heard in standard Mandarin which sometimes derive from different grammar.

In Crouching Tiger, Zhang Yi, the wayward young swordfighter speaks Mandarin with a distinct north Chinese accent. The dashing Xinjiang chief is played by a Taiwanese actor and speaks with a Taiwanese accent. The other two leads -- Michelle Yeoh and Chow Yun-fat -- speak fluent Mandarin but with Cantonese accents.

Once you leave Mandarin behind, things are harder still. The different Chinese languages, such as Mandarin and Cantonese are as distinct as, say, Italian and Spanish, though the Chinese authorities, ever keen to emphasise unity, tend to refer to them all as dialects.

So its not true that the written form of Mandarin is universally comprehensible -- though a Cantonese speaker will get the gist of something written in Mandarin. Cantonese, and all the others, has unique characters for words it has but others don't.

Until the early years of the last century, classical Chinese with its own completely separate grammar and vocabulary, was used for all official writing and so formed a bridge between speakers of different languages. Vernacular writing was only used for less well-regarded things such as popular literature and the prompt books for marketplace storytelling. That changed in the 20th century when a standard written language representing the spoken forms was developed, catching on quickly with the drive for modernization.

Since most emigration stemmed from south China, well-established overseas communities tend to speak Cantonese or another southern language. That's changing though as more and more Mandarin speakers have left to settle among the barbarians.

And then there are several non-Chinese languages spoken widely by non-Han Chinese some of which have several million speakers, but many of which are being smothered by the spread of Mandarin. Here in Taiwan, there are the vestiges of several languages spoken by the Aboriginal communities which are far distant from anything found elsewhere in the world.

#21460 03/10/01 09:07 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Here in Taiwan, there are the vestiges of several languages spoken by the Aboriginal communities which are far distant from anything found elsewhere in the world.

Thanks for that, salmon. The quoted piece above caught my eye as I read somewhere, I think it was here, that the island of Taiwan was the original home of the ancestors of the Polynesian peoples, including NZ Maori. Can anyone confirm or correct this?

#21461 03/10/01 01:23 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
more and more Mandarin speakers have left to settle among the barbarians
And they bring all those things that take up no room in a suitcase : talents. Perhaps even a few with genius, for poetry, music, painting, math and great recipes for the Inner Man. We will be the more enriched by their presence.
wow

#21462 03/11/01 12:24 AM
S
stranger
stranger
S
Max Quordlepleen asks Can anyone confirm or correct this?

I recently read "Guns, Germs, Steel" by Jared Diamond, which gives an account of human history in terms of geography not culture. In the book, he marshals various bits of evidence to make the case that Taiwan was the first island in a series of islands hops which took the intrepid originally Eurasian seafarers to every inhabitable island in the Pacific, from Hawaii to New Zealand. They even got as far as Madagascar it seems. The migration is central to Diamond's theories because he uses it to show how the subsequent development of these isolated societies from people genetically and culturally similar was constrained by their environment. Some islands allowed abundant crop cultivation and complex societies grew; other islands didn't suit the crops the settlers brought and had little of their own so the settlers reverted to hunter-gathering.
On a grander and more complicated scale and with many more variables at work, says the book, this is what has happened to all mankind.

#21463 03/11/01 03:06 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
All right then. I admit my ignorance. I always thought there was a Chinese language and the more time spend in AWAD the more I find that there is really not ONE language but a whole slew of languages that are called 'Chinese' by the "New World" peoples.

How many languages are there?

#21464 03/11/01 04:58 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear salmon: What did you make of Jared Diamond's statement early in the book that the average New Guinea native was brighter than the average European? It seems to me that he was comparing New Guinea elite with average Europeans.

#21465 03/11/01 05:20 PM
wwh>...Jared Diamond's statement early in the book that the average New Guinea native was brighter than the average European? It seems to me that he was comparing New Guinea elite with average Europeans.

Bill - I haven't read the book to which you refer, but it sounds like you are suggesting that Europeans & other Westerners are 'obviously' more intelligent and advanced than those from the East - for instance, many Westerners actually believe that so much of the good things of life were created by the West!

In fact, the LIBRARY, for example, first existed in Ancient Egypt, and the Mesopotamians had a culture far grander and 'higher' than any of those that developed so very much later in Europe! Of course, WRITING began with cuneiform in Mesopotamia (and perhaps at the same time as hieroglyphics in Egypt and further east with the same idea in China) long before it existed in Greece/Rome and the 'West'!

As a doctor, what's your opinion of the Chinese (and other Eastern) forms of healing?

Shoshannah

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#21466 03/11/01 09:50 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
the LIBRARY, for example, first existed in Ancient Egypt

I think we can safely say, if Greece and Rome were considered Western civilizations, than Egypt was as well because there is evidence that they interacted quite a bit. The columns originally thought to be of Greek and Roman origin have been traced back to Egypt. Though the dipictions of their gods were different, all three had similar stock mythological deities.

By ancient library do you mean the one in Alexandria. I'm guessing you don't because Alexandria was founded by Alexander the Great. I seem to recall a mention in a world history class of the first libraries that let people borrow books, but I don't remember where they were.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith