Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
old hand
Yes, I came across notices of this naturem stuck on the side of main frames in my computng days.
Another one read, "We have acheived a perfect harmony between theory and practice: nothing works, and we don't know why."

I'm immortal until proven otherwise
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: SamDottore

My "classical" education was more Latin than Greek, so I have actually never ever read, let alone studied, Ovid.

Is this a non sequitur? You are talking about Publius Ovidius Naso, yes?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, you can free associate all you want to, but the words marble and marmalade are not cognates.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Oh well, as you put it so authoritively, I should accept that what you say must be true, shouldn't I?
I should add that I have found that people who express themselves with arrogant and condescending assurance are at least sometimes themselves in error.
So, if it's alright with you, I will continue to think for myself, and treat language as the continuously evolving entity that it most certainly is (please excuse my arrogance in saying so), not attempt to place language in an amber prison, where many people seem to want to keep it.
Please understand that I'm not saying you are wrong in your assertion, only that nothing is ever certain in the field of human endeavours.
Sam

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" - 'Abandon all hope, ye who enter'.
Dante (Durante degli) Alighieri, "La Divina Commedia", "Inferno", c 1308-1321
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Oh dear, it seems I am getting in over my head here! Glub, glub!

It may be best that you should tell me, whether or not I am talking about Publius Ovidius Naso. All I know, without embarking on more research, is the attribution I put in my signature, that the quotation came from "Metamorphoses Book XV".

I had not realised that there may have been more than one 'Ovid'. I s this so? If so, I suppose I should be more careful when delving into areas of literature that I am largely ignorant of.

Sam

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" - 'Abandon all hope, ye who enter'.
Dante (Durante degli) Alighieri, "La Divina Commedia", "Inferno", c 1308-1321
old hand
old hand
Don't beat yourself up over this, Sam.

(There's plenty here who'll do that for you, if you step too far out of line! - but we are, on the whole, a friendly bunch, supportive rather than competitive [except in Wordplay and Fun,mof course])

And zmj isn't really arrogant - just very well informed about language(s).

I'm immortal until proven otherwise
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, Publius Ovidius Naso was the Ovid who wrote the Metamorphoses. I just wondered about your comment about your classical education being more Latin than Greek and using that as a reason for not having read Ovid.

SamDottore #207291 09/24/12 01:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh well, as you put it so authoritively, I should accept that what you say must be true, shouldn't I?

You're not under any obligation to accept anything from anybody. You asked a question and I answered it to the best of my abilities. Have a nice day.

I should add that I have found that people who express themselves with arrogant and condescending assurance are at least sometimes themselves in error.

I'm a little less well done than those folks. When I am in error, and somebody proves it, I apologize and move on. If you nose about in the archives to this site, you may find evidence of that.

Funny how online communication is so fraught with the risk of unmeaning. When you swooped in and made your bold assertions that marble and marmalade were related, I took it that you were one of these people who could not be bothered to be confused by the facts and who had already made up his mind about the relationship between the two words.I tend to run into folks like this from time to time on various Web forums. They are not swayed by any sort of argumentation. Sorry to have wasted your time.

So, if it's alright with you, I will continue to think for myself, and treat language as the continuously evolving entity that it most certainly is (please excuse my arrogance in saying so), not attempt to place language in an amber prison, where many people seem to want to keep it.

Another non-sequitur? (Faldo, I think, was confused when you said you had studied Latin and not Greek, because Naso (there is only one author I am aware of with this name) was a Roman poet who wrote in Latin.) I, too, know that language is constantly changing, but that has little to do with whether or why marble and marmalade are related or not. You could look up the etymologies of these two words in any moderately popular dictionary and see that for yourself.

Please understand that I'm not saying you are wrong in your assertion, only that nothing is ever certain in the field of human endeavours.

Well that's a relief. And I was just saying that given the historical evidence of the two words and what I, and others, know of the historical-comparative method, I find it highly unlikely that the two words are related historically.

By the way, welcome to the board and I hope, in spite of my presence, that you will have a good time here. I'll try not to annoy you any further with answers to your questions.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
All good stuff, Sam, and you too, Rhuby.
Thrift stores are all the rage here too.

My classical background was Latin too, and that Little Latin
Ovid book still scares me when I go near that shelf. Great
passage for a signature, however.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hi Sam...this is my very own, not so little marmalade! He goes by the name PUCK. Did you know that most ginger cats are males? Something to do with how that colour gene is passed down.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith