About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Question: Are you saying you find Shakespeare readable or Neal Stephenson readable?
Shakespeare. As the 'he' in your question clearly refers to Shakespeare, not to Neal Stephenson.

Question:Do you suppose he would find it readable?
I think he would find it (Neal Stephenson) readable, (with a large amount of annotations).

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Anyway dear Faldage, my concern is not whether our languages will still be readable in 500 years. My concern is how to keep them readable today!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My concern is how to keep them readable today!

The syntax of English has not changed too dramatically between Shakespeare's and Stephenson's times. The vocabulary and the meanings of many lexical items more so. I'd say the biggest changes have been in the cultural and knowledge areas. So while I can imagine that Shakespeare might, with some ramp-up time, be able to "read" Snow Crash, he probably wouldn't understand a lot of it.

The same holds for Stephenson reading Shakespeare (or a lesser known Elizabethan-Jacobean writer) without modern editions and critical apparatus.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Anyway dear Faldage, my concern is not whether our languages will still be readable in 500 years. My concern is how to keep them readable today!

I think much of the concern about the state of the language these days is due to the explosion of unedited writing seen on the web. Unfortunately this unedited writing is moving into the print media with the layoffs of copy-editors at newspapers but that's another problem.

G
G
Originally Posted By: BranShea

But where is the evidence that unedited English, bad grammar, or whatever is leading to huge breakdowns in communication?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
But where is the evidence that unedited English, bad grammar, or whatever is leading to huge breakdowns in communication?

Exactly! When languages change, it is because the speakers/writers are speaking/writing differently. Once a language changes enough, another language emerges. Latin changed greatly between Plautus' time and Ausonius'. Then it changed even more, until Latin became Italian, French, Spanish, etc. Is French a degenerate form of Latin? Or an improvement? Neither. It is merely a different language.

About the breakdown in communication, I have always wondered how a peever can correct somebody else's grammar. Shouldn't they just be uncomprehending? If you can understand me to give your "correct" version of what I just said/wrote, then you understood me and there is no need for "correction".

[Corrected the typo that tsuwm pointed out.]

Last edited by zmjezhd; 06/20/12 10:18 PM.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
here's a llittle bit of that there evidence.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a decriptivist might surmise that he meant "Latin became" here.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
My concern is how to keep them readable today!

The syntax of English has not changed too dramatically between Shakespeare's and Stephenson's times. The vocabulary and the meanings of many lexical items more so. I'd say the biggest changes have been in the cultural and knowledge areas. So while I can imagine that Shakespeare might, with some ramp-up time, be able to "read" Snow Crash,, he probably wouldn't understand a lot of it.

The same holds for Stephenson reading Shakespeare (or a lesser known Elizabethan-Jacobean writer) without modern editions and critical apparatus.

Yes, it would have to be (very roughly) one quarter book and three quarter footnotes.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
a decriptivist might surmise that he meant "Latin became" here.

Thanks. I did't mean to be a prescriptivist. Just did could not fill that in.

Last edited by BranShea; 06/21/12 08:58 AM.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith