About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Yeah it's a shame, but I don't see how it means "a loss of grammar", pace Barzun.

Barzun may have a tendency to let some facts run away with him. F.i. he writes that Leonardo da Vinci had no use for and even hated music. I have found no evidence of that. Others say he was a great musician. No evidence of that either. There is one tiny line of notes by his hand. Not very impressive. It's more likely that he liked or loved music and even played a lute or so, but could not add "musician" and "composer" to his homo universalis record.

(still I enjoy the read)

G
G
Originally Posted By: BranShea
No dear, you don't understand. It did not happen 50 years ago.

No, I do understand. I know it happened recently, but I'm sure things like this also happened 50 years ago.

I've lived 69 of those and it did not happen that a business letter was ever presented like this.

This is the recency illusion - the belief that because we just noticed something, it must be new. When it comes to language our impression are very unreliable. This is just one letter, and although it's unfortunate, we shouldn't draw any conclusions from it about the general state of language.

I could send you a copy just to show the looks of it, but you would stick to your point of view no doubt.

It wouldn't matter because I can't read Dutch.

Last edited by gooofy; 06/22/12 01:27 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Things like this. Different things, nothing is very reliable. Definitions...all these fantastic definitions: "recency illusion"- "collective recency illusion". Trouble is, as soon as there is a definition for a problem the case can be dismissed. Wrap it up in a dictionary and forget about it.
I'm done. Cheers.

BranShea #206193 06/23/12 10:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
P.S.

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
Who will consider that no dictionary of a living tongue ever can be perfect, since, while it is hastening to publication, some words are budding, and some falling away; that a whole life cannot be spent upon syntax and etymology, and that even a whole life would not be sufficient; that he, whose design includes whatever language can express, must often speak of what he does not understand. -Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)

Why thank you Anu and Samuel Johnson!!!!!

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 739 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith