Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#20622 03/01/01 10:02 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Since any stimulus frequently applied loses its potency, perhaps the next generation will get tired of the current filth words, or at least with the tasteless excessive use of them. They will even have to invent new ones to match the intensity required by sufficient provocation.

#20623 03/02/01 04:36 AM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Almost as bad as a guy in Army whose every other word was the "f..."word, to the point that we would call his attention to it if he said three decent words in a string.

My parents had a friend a good while back who had a swearing problem similar to that, and I thought his wife's cure was rather inventive (not to mention took guts). Every time he swore, she'd repeat it at a shout, especially in public. Embarrassing, and to the point on how she felt about it at any volume. He was eventually cured, and they did not split up, or end up in jail. I'd never have been able to do that...

Ali

#20624 03/02/01 04:37 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Who are or were these Gray Ladies in PX?

Bingley

Bingley
#20625 03/03/01 01:04 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
I've been amazed ever since I realized that "fuck" is mostly used as an insult, and how incredibly misogynistic that is. (I mean, really, I've always thought it's a lot of fun.) I've tried to quit using it that way myself, and substitute the all-purpose "eat shit" when reduced to primitive verbal self-defense.

#20626 03/03/01 01:51 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
I've been amazed ever since I realized that "fuck" is mostly used as an insult, and how incredibly misogynistic that is. (I mean, really, I've always thought it's a lot of fun.)

It seems that the puritanical society of the USA finds Anglo-Saxon words to be indecent, and the expression of passions and bodily functions using those words to be coarse. Yet, as you say,BP, there is something delicious in hearing a partner say, "Fuck me!" when already aroused that "Shall we copulate?" doesn't quite convey!

As for the mysogyny of the term, I've taken to saying to other men who say, "Fuck you" to me, "Thanks, but I prefer women!" One of these days, that's gonna get me killed!

I agree with WWH that overuse dimishes the passion of the words we use. We can only scratch an itch so much before the scratching becomes the irritant, not the itch.

#20627 03/03/01 09:05 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>on network TV

I don't think we have the same distinction here. BBC2 was introduced as highbrow television in the sixties and by the seventies was showing fairly steamy sex scenes (after 9pm of course), they were highbrow steamy sex scenes (as you would expect). I think our television plays were much more into gritty realism and didn't really shrink from profanity "as long as it was appropriate to the scene". Programme makers from the seventies say that there was a ration of four letter words that had to be eked out over the whole programme. By the mid eighties, with comedy shows like "the Young Ones" they had just about given up.

I mentioned "Sex in the City", in an earlier thread as an example of a programme shown on cable (HBO) in the US and network TV (Channel 4)here, similarly the Sopranos.

In some ways I think people here have grown out of expletives, they are really part of normal speech between consenting adults and in many environments, barely noticed. I'm far more concerned about the increasing levels of violence on programmes like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" which are shown on early evening television.

#20628 03/03/01 10:35 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
didn't really shrink from profanity "as long as it was appropriate to the scene". Programme makers from the seventies say that there was a ration of four letter words that had to be eked out over the whole programme.

I suspect it was that sort of thing Douglas Adams had in mind when he mentioned an award called a silver Rory, "for the most gratuituous use of the word "fuck" in a serious screenplay."

#20629 03/04/01 07:33 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm far more concerned about the increasing levels of violence on programmes like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" which are shown on early evening television.

Don't attack Buffy! Well, not the earlier series anyway. It's the most pointless, mindless and ultimate useless show on television, but it has Sarah Michelle Geller (?sp) in it, and I can watch it without thinking and enjoy it. Here it's typically on after 10 p.m., so the little kiddies have to record it. Ma femme rather fancies the guy who plays the Watcher. So it has something for everyone!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#20630 03/05/01 11:17 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Don't attack Buffy! Well, not the earlier series anyway. It's the most pointless, mindless and ultimate useless show on television, but it has Sarah Michelle Geller (?sp) in it, and I can watch it without thinking and enjoy it. Here it's typically on after 10 p.m., so the little kiddies have to record it. Ma femme rather fancies the guy who plays the Watcher. So it has something for everyone!

I think it's Gellar. We watch Buffy and Angel, all the time. Mostly I don't mind the violence but last week, Angel was getting pretty beat up, and of course because he's a vampire he doesn't just die when appropriate. I actually turned my head away from the TV during that scene and asked my husband to tell me when it was over. All the while I was thinking - now THIS is a show that's not for kids - they would watch this fight scene and think you could beat someone with a sledgehammer and run him over with a car and he'd still be well enough to fight back. That sort of disturbed me. Here, it's on at 8:30 pm, which isn't really late enough to keep small, unsupervised children away from it...

#20631 03/05/01 03:40 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
think you could beat someone with a sledgehammer and run him over with a car and he'd still be well enough to fight back. That sort of disturbed me. Here, it's on at 8:30 pm, which isn't really late enough to keep small, unsupervised children away from it...
Bean, you are exactly right.
Along the same line it distubs me that TV Execs are quick to take credit for exposing wrong doings and for the impact of programs they broadcast which bring social change for the good ... and at the same time refute the impact of violence on impressionable people of all ages.
I haven't worded this too well but you get the idea ??
wow

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 759 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith