Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Anyway, what about "a shot in the arm"? I always thought of that like getting punched , or maybe poisoned, but a commercial on the radio uses it as if you're getting medicine

I've always associated the phrase with the idea of vaccinations, like the TB vaccinations that used to be given to all 13 year-olds here in NZ - a literal shot in the arm. Here at least, the phrase conveys the idea of a boost, a pick-me-up.

#20573 03/07/01 06:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>a boost, a pick-me-up

thus, for my uncle (a barkeep), the first drink of the day.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I should have guessed it was from Latin. I wish that they still taught Latin. Probably everyone else would hate it though.

Hate to tell you this, Jimbo, but good schools DO still teach Latin ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
J
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
J
In reply to:

Hate to tell you this, Jimbo, but good schools DO still teach Latin ...

Well, my school is getting worse. As of last year we had a French teacher, but she retired, or someting, so all the French students had to switch to Spanish. And probably the good schools are too expensive.
jimthedog

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
schools DO still teach Latin

Indeedy they do! Our School Union High School -- which covers the small N. H. Seacoast towns -- has Latin class and a Latin Club.
{Puffing up with pride emoticon she noted that her Godson, Michael, received honors in Latin}
He found it most useful on a Senior trip (each student self financed) to Italy.
Dominus vobiscum, all.
wow

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, its true, they are, inspite of what politician tell you, decreasing the qualities of school.

I think, part of the problems is, we, (americans) don't really value children. I thinks some parents value their kids-- and sometimes act as if their kids could do no wrong-- but as a group, (adults) don't value children (as a group).

I live in nice middle class neighborhood-- but our local school was falling to peices-- and there was never any money in the budget to get something done, till one day- half of one of the walls collapsed into the school yard! Fortunately, there weren't any children in the school or yard at the time.

Still, Scott, you have several choices.. you are bright- and you could begin to learn latin on your own. there are latin clubs-- and no doubt, there are even latin bulletin boards, or web sites..

You might even find, that there are teachers in your school who know latin, and would be pleased to help you learn it. there are several people on this bulletin board who know and use latin-- you could be really nice to them... (Lucky you, I am not one of them!)

and you'll find, most dictionaries have an section in back-- with common latin words and phrases.. so you could begin to learn some things from tools at hand.

I have never taken a course in anatomy-- but when i fell, and broke a bone-- (and i knew it was broken before it was x-rayed) i knew which bone it was.. I sort of liked the idea that all the bones had names, and learned most of them... (much easier than latin, since there are only 200 some odd bones, and some like metacarpsuls get repeated.. vertibre, and phalanges, too) but the point is, it doesn't matter that your school is less than perfect and doesn't teach latin... you still can learn it.

J
old hand
old hand
J
And probably the good schools are too expensive.

I beg to differ. Yes, the best schools are usually private ones, but there are 4 or 5 very good public school districts in my area. One of the schools was ranked nationally and another of the communities was at the top of a nicest-places-to-live-in-the-US list. Unfortunately though, there is obviously a correlation between income and school success.

J
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
J
I tried finding someone who knew Latin last summer just before school started, but I didn't find anyone. Probably didn't look hard enough. One complaint, though. jimthedogII is the one who signs as Scott. I don't mind. Our usernames are almost exactly the same.

jimthedog

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
New Hampshire is struggling with making schools across the state more equal in oportunity for learning ... and an idea from Legislature that taxing people in communities percieved to be more affluent should pay more school tax which would be used in poorer school district. Sounds good? What a mess. My town percieved to be one of the affluent towns because of cost of homes here which is because it's on the short seacoast. But there are lots of people in town struggling -- holding down two jobs apiece -- and a nearby town got some of the money and they used it to reduce taxes instead of putting it into schools.
Arrrrgggghhhh.
Don't get me started. Oh, I did?
Sorry.
wow

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
No, I'm the one who signs "Anu Garg"

-Anu Garg

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith