Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
I was amazed to see "capricious" derived from "head of a hedgehog", and to see Merriam Webster present that origin, with a "perhaps". The OED agrees with what I'd always thought, that it's from "capra", Latin for "goat"--well, OED comes through the Italian: "Italian capriccio sudden start, motion, or freak, apparently < capro goat, as if ‘the skip or frisk of a goat’".

Note: the etymology in the on-line OED dead-ends with a "see above" as though you were reading the paper dictionary. I looked at "caprice", which lead me to "capriccio", to get to the derivation above.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So, basically, there's two theories and the proponents of each are uncertain that theirs is correct.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
not sure where you're looking, but W3 gives Etymology: Italian capriccioso and M-W online (11th edition) points to caprice, which has French, from Italian capriccio caprice, shudder, perhaps from capo head (from Latin caput) + riccio hedgehog, from Latin ericius (AHD4 agrees with this, no perhaps)

W3 glosses caprice with: basic meaning: head with hair standing on end, hence, horror, shivering, then (after Italian capra goat), whim

anyways, capriciously speaking, this is all somewhat remindful of a hedgehog! (Dinsdale!)

stranger
stranger
i go with the goat. hedgehogs are not capricious, just ask my cat. goats on the other hand are quite notably so. one doesn't frisk in fear but in excess of hormones and energy, characteristics not well presented by hedgehogs. i suspect the chevrolet eponyfiers had the goat in mind for their otherwise sedate sedan caprice.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ha, I see the discussion is already on. I just wanted to ask if anyone could explain the connection between capricious behaviour and having hair standing on end.

I vote for the goat. Hedgehogs don't even have ordinary hair. I'd call them spines.
(Hedgehogs are easily recognized by their spines, which are hollow hairs made stiff with keratin.)

S
stranger
stranger
S
Absolutely goat is the origin of the word, the further that we move from our agrarian roots, the more that silly etymologies are posited and believed. One need only know goats to understand that capricious is goat like in behavior. Hedgehog references are overreaching. Capricorn - capricious there is no need to look to riccio to get there.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Etymologies can take funny turns. Whore and charity come from the same root. The idea that goats are capricious is just as likely to be used as evidence of the notion that the goat etymology is a folk etymology. If the experts aren't sure I'm not sure.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Capricious hairsplitting. A folk etymology is still an etymology.
Lets meet on Capri all of us to find out the thruth. smile

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: BranShea
A folk etymology is still an etymology.

For some small values of etymology.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
sometimes vanishingly small; e.g., see hooker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith