Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#20456 02/27/01 05:38 PM
S
Seian Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S

There has been a lot of talk about animals in some form or other, and I got to wondering what sort of names people here are giving to their pets. There has got to be some good names (and stories) in this group. Or, it'd be fun to "hear" a few names you think would be great for a pet.

I think the most unique name in my family was made by my brother when he was very little. We had a female black cat named Tippetywitchet.

These days I've got a little manx named Cadfael (after the fictional Welsh Benedictine monk). My Cadfael is quite friendly, looks different than any cat in the house and since he came home from the shelter, he's, er... celibate.

My brother's cat is named Isis, and while it's a pretty name, we joke it would have been more appropriate to call her Menhit, another egyptian goddess who's name means "she who slaughters". His kitty is quite the aggressive little darling...

Does your pets names suit them, or have the nicknames taken over as their personalities emerged? I'd like to know.

Ali

#20457 02/27/01 06:18 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Our cat is called Shah, since every cat knows that is is king of its domain. The name was also intended as a (feeble) pun on chat, a pun that would not work if we had used the feminine form of Shah. I am not looking to the time when I must use the expression from which checkmate derives.

#20458 02/27/01 06:26 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Our cat's name is Fru-Fru. This was an attempt to appease my father when we got her - he hates cats. It's an informal Sardinian word for little cookies - I think they're called ice wafers or just wafers in English, although they are not as popular here as in Italy. The logic was - give the cat a Sardinian name - then maybe Dad, who keeps moaning about how wonderful Sardinia is, will like the cat. The choice of word was just because it was also a cute name for a cat. Note that it does anagram to Fur-fur, which is what I hate vacuuming up!

My new vet laughed when I told her the name. But she agreed that it suits her personality. (I'm not sure how she decided this.)

Her nicknames are mostly words which start with F. My current favourite is Fluffy. Also Fruf-Maguf was a stage I went through. Fru-Fru Della Ama was another one. Fru-Fru-ina (small Fru-Fru, using Italian suffix rules). Fru. Fru-ey. Fraggle. Fragola (raspberry, or is it strawberry, in Italian). It's never-ending!

#20459 02/27/01 06:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
smith, jones, beaujolais/boo [a real scaredy-cat], blossom, janey, teddy-bear (all cats, only two current); goldy (a fish) -- with one exception, my opinions in these matters carry no weight whatsoever.

#20460 02/27/01 06:56 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Our pets are initially given common names, and inevitably end up with various nicknames. Currently, we have Peter, an orange tabby (ex-)tom cat; Zoe, a tiger cat; and Jeffrey (registered as Commodore Jeffrey), a Newfoundland dog. Peter has a very high voice, and is usually known as Pete-the-squeek, but he intimidates the dog, and is known to Jeffrey as The Great and Powerful Peter. Zoe is often Zo-Zo or Zoe-girl, and Jeffrey is Jeffersonian when he is not No, No, Get Down. Before we put her on expensive specialty food, Zoe had a digestion problem, and as a result her middle names are Eta Canari.

#20461 02/27/01 07:09 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Bean: How about frou-frou?

1 a rustling or swishing, as of a silk skirt
2.(colloquial) excessive ornateness or affected elegance

#20462 02/27/01 09:11 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
My white Bichon is named Pearl for her colo(u)r and her personality. Can't take credit it was her name when she was rescued.
My gal pal had a Maine Coon Cat, a huge cat, lots of fluffy fur and an attiude, who's name was Feziwig de Flouf. Fez for short.
One of the family's setters was named "Wheaties" because he loved the breakfast corn flakes of that name.
wow

#20463 02/27/01 10:01 PM
old hand
old hand
When I was growing up, we had a cat with identity issues... *he* was misidentified as a *she* initially, and so *he* started out as Mitzy. Ugh. It got no better when we discovered he was a *he* and we went for about a week to calling him Fritzy. (By this time, you understand, I had already embroidered *her* name on a satin pillow, and I figured it would be easier to just change the "M" to an "Fr" instead of starting over...) Well, that just didn't fit. Mom found him inordinately energetic and bouncy, so Tigger finally stuck (tigger also happens to be the Norwegian word for beggar, so a fit on both counts). I lost interest in the satin pillow, and he wouldn't have appreciated it anyway. In other ho-hum pet name news, a dog named Sparky came in and out of the household during Tigger's tenure.

I got to exercise some actual creativity when my aunt & uncle's new cat needed a name ~ an orange tabby, I decided he looked like Barkdust. And then there's my friend Margaret's cat, Spudgie. She has the softest fur you've ever felt!

Now I await the liberation from apartment living so I can install some cats (to be named Mugwump, Bernie, and Ert) as household fixtures.

#20464 02/28/01 12:02 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
We have a Bernese Mountain dog, a huge floofy fellow named Maximum (Max for short). We named him that when we got him because he was at maximum cuteness level and it was impossible to be any cuter. Pretty standard stuff so far, however…

on occasion we revert to calling him poultry, or “the only dog with white meat” as he is the most chicken dog ever. Oh he barks up a good show when someone comes to the door…all deep growls, resonant barks, angry slobbering and bristly hair, but the second the person walks in the door – off he goes to hide under the dining room table. And with a backwards glance as he runs away, you just know he is thinking “take the girl, take the girl, and the jewelry is in the top left hand drawer in the back under the lacy bras.”

#20465 02/28/01 12:14 AM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Well, my only pet (a chiuauah/rat terrier) is named Milo. I got the name from a movie about a cat and a dog entitled Milo and Otis. Milo was the cat. (I named him when I was 9. )

I've recently been wanting to get an Irish Setter and name it Potato.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith