Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#20486 03/01/01 07:01 PM
D
des Offline
journeyman
journeyman
D
Paulb...Whoops, I misspelled Longden, sorry!

#20487 03/02/01 07:34 AM
B
addict
addict
B
My sister, who lives in Michigan USA, named her first cat Cuddlepie, after a character in a famous Australian children's book. All well and good, but my brother-in-law has never been happy with wandering around the neighbourhood calling the cat home...

Her second cat was named XB after an English beer.

Another friend adopted a cat called Kevin, who later turned out to be Kevina. By then, she had had both ears amputated due to cancer (she was a white cat and apparently this happens frequently to white cats), and her new appearance had given her teh nickname 'the Orc'.

#20488 03/03/01 12:56 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Well, my only pet (a chiuauah/rat terrier) is named Milo

My partner's name is Milo and he complains that all the other Milos he runs across are either artists, villians, kids or animals (all less than fully fledged citizens, I guess).

I found a photograph of my great-grandfather with his pet, Quite, the dog. I invented another pet name like this that I loved, implying a mischievous pet, but now I can't remember it.

#20489 03/05/01 12:08 PM
addict
addict
The two dogs we had while I was growing up were named Popeye and Morgan. No obvious reason for either name, but we just liked them.

A friend of a friend allegedly owns two little dogs whom he has called "Lulu" and "C'est moi"... anyone remember the TV ad?

#20490 03/05/01 01:28 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I am, and always have been, a committed felinophile. I cannot remember a time when there were not cats around the house - usually in the plural. We have always acquired cats in pairs, although when one goes on to the Great Hunting Ground, we do not usually burden the other one with a new companion.

However, we have recently laid this covention aside. Our old black cat, Gothmog (named for the Balrog, NOT the Ringwraith!) died of cancer of the liver at the relatively early age of 9 years. She left behind her daughter, Humbug. She was so named because when she was born - the only kitten in Gothmog's first litter - she was brown and cream stripes, just like the peppermint sweet. She is a beautiful tabby, very symetrically marked, but is also very neurotic. However, she loved Goth's second litter of four kits and played with them very well, so when her mother died, we decided to take in two more kittens to keep her company. The word was sent out that there was a vacancy for two respectable kittens and, very shortly afterwards, a Farmers Wife of our acquaintance arrived on the doorstep with two, totally grey, adorable little kittens. They looked at us appealingly (any cat-lover will know exactly what I mean) and we were hooked. They strolled round the house and looked at everything, found the litter tray and used it and settled down to take over the joint. Poor old Humbug, eight years old by now, was totally gob-smacked! She couldn't believe her eyes. She snarled and spat, and ran away and hid herself. She came out, trembling all over, for meals - so long as the new arrivals were nowhere to be seen - then disappeared into the shed outside again.

We thought, "Oh, well - she'll get over it soon." But she didn't. She kept up a feud with the poor little waifs (who, of course, would dog her footsteps - if that is possible for a cat! - and try to play with her. They thought she was lovely whilst she hated the sight of them.

It is only in the shared trauma of moving house (which Humbug also hated, of course) that she has come to terms with them, and will actually lie down beside them and groom them. It is probably because this is not "her" territory, as was the other house.

The grey cats, who used to be little boys but are now almost fully grown castrati are mistaken by everyone who calls for Russian Blues - they are truly beautiful cats - but they are actually farmyard moggies, with rural accents and habits.
You will have heard the old adage that "all cats are grey in the dusk." I can assure you this is not true. Grey cats are invisible in the dusk - especially when they are sleeping on the second stair down!
One is fat and lazy, the other is a psychopath, who spends his time trying valiantly, and single-handedly, to rid the world of its avian population.
We have called them "Chaos" and "Darkness"

#20491 03/05/01 01:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am, and always have been, a committed felinophile

something i read about housecats last night made me laugh out loud, and was obviously stated by a caninophile:

"They are miniature predators; if they were big enough, they would eat you."

Food for thought.

#20492 03/05/01 03:22 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Or, of course, if we were smaller. I'll never forget the scene in "The Incredible Shrinking Man" where the hero, having become rather less than Lilliputian in size, was chased by the family cat.

(But even that was better than when he had shrunk even more and was threatened by a spider - ughhhhhh!)

#20493 03/05/01 03:28 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The Incredible Shrinking Man" ... a good movie I thought ... was played by actor Glen Langan who also provided the voice of Big Brother in Orwell's "1984"
wow

#20494 03/05/01 04:03 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
"They are miniature predators; if they were big enough, they would eat you."
I was shopping at a nursery for ornamentals, when a small kitten "attacked" me, using the same placement of paws that lions on TV use, one paw bending the head to one side, the other paw tripping opposite leg, to make the wildebeest fall and break its neck.
Only of course, the result was the kitten's doing a somersault. I took it home, and had a very lovable line of "Tuxedo" cats, looking like Sylvester. Incidentally they all had double paws, which I have read, originated in New England.

#20495 03/05/01 05:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've had a variety of pets over the years, almost all of whom have had rather odd names. And each reader nods his or her head and says to himself, "Now who'd have thought that of Ted?"

Many years ago a friend gave me a chow puppy. With his big main he looked like a lion. So he became Sign-on the Dotty Lion. Later, when we got a female, she became Tear-On. Our little goats we had in West Virginia were Rainbow (the proverbial goat of many colors) and Monday (goat o' Monday.)

More recently I somehow inherited a Vietnamese pot-bellied pig, who was yclept Rasher O'Bacon, being as Irish as Paddy's pig, I guess.

When I lived in Virginia my ex and I were bicycling near Mt. Vernon when she spotted a cat in a tree and said I should rescue it. I gave her the old firefighter's line, "Ma'am, have you ever seen a cat skeleton in a tree?" But I got him down, discovering in the process that he was stone blind. He became Justice.

I now own a boxer named Shorts, T-shirt having passed on to that great dogfood bowl in the sky. And Friday I broke with tradition. We are the proud roommates of a Manx cat, appropriately named El Gordo because he weighs somewhere between 20 and 25 pounds.

TEd
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith