Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: goofy
Originally Posted By: Jackie
A real example He gots no (whatever)?

I don't know the history of gots.

I don't either, but I've seen it develop more or less spontaneously in young children, and it makes sense: got is perceived as the infinitive of a verb that approximates the meaning of have: "Got a minute?" the song "I Got Rhythm" is not past tense, as in "Yesterday I got rhythm," but present, as in "I have rhythm," so the conjugation runs I got, you got, he or she gots…

Peter

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I agree Peter...I hear kids use 'gots' a lot and I guess they unlearn the use of it as they grow up, because us adults tell them its not correct.

P
stranger
stranger
P
My old German professor would spit on the floor when he said a French word and then mutter "Bastard Latin!"

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My old German professor would spit on the floor when he said a French word and then mutter "Bastard Latin!"

Lovely habit spitting on floors. I'm glad I left the barnyard behind when I got to university. Anyway, French is neither worse nor better than Latin or German.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If only they'd get rid of the filthy habit in Baseball.
Decades ago I taught both Latin and French, loved them both.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd

Lovely habit spitting on floors.

I forget where I read it but it was an account of an English ship's captain in Japan back when Japan started letting gaijin back in after a hundred years or so of forbidding them from entering. He said that he was amazed how clean the Japanese kept their houses. They were so clean that he almost didn't feel like spitting on the floor.

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
gaijin

NOUN:
pl. gaijin
A non-Japanese person.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ETYMOLOGY:
Japanese : gai, outside, foreign (from Middle Chinese wajh) + jin, person ; see jinriksha

AHD. Thank you.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
gaijin

I was actively studying Japanese at my last job (for a Japanese telecom company), and so, I would try to practice with the owner and Japanese-speaking customers at my local sushi restaurant. One day, I was asking the owner if some guest who had come in and were sitting in one of the tatami dining rooms were Japanese (nihonjin) or not. That led to my in a sentence referring to myself as a gaijin. My host corrected me. He said technically, since we were in the States, he was the gaijin (foreigner) and I was an amerikajin (American). It sounded too formal to me, so we settled on henna hakujin (weird white guy). The five days I spent in Japan I heard the word gaijin more than any other word.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
weird white guy [snort]

I heard the word gaijin more than any other word. Ah, yes--closely related to gringo, I believe!

old hand
old hand
I really do dislike the idea that our "language is changing fo the worse."

Language changes. Sometimes it brings in "dross": more often it brings in "gold."

We have to live with it, innit?

I'm immortal until proven otherwise
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 635 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith