Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#20313 03/03/01 10:40 PM
About to close down and go to bed 'early' for a change when I saw this thread - so I'm just taking a moment to say that I'm here to stay - hope that's okay with y'all (that's said in southern Hebrew)!

It'll take me a few more days to read through more threads and get used to some of the ideas and 'humor' I see you all like to share... but, as I said when I joined this board, I like what I read and am happy to be here!

Oh - WORDS - and I'll try to spend a bit more time thinking about those (uh... in English - unless anyone wants to learn more Hebrew) instead of just replying to what I read or whatever...

And - just one more word about my joining this board - already, in only a few days of being on it, I've discovered such a relief from the 'situation' (that's what we call it) around me. From listening to the shooting and shelling which happens nightly only a few kilometres away from me, for a little while anyway, I can escape into this board and even relax a bit!

Thanks for a good time and for helping to keep me sane during this insane time!

Lila Tov

Shoshannah

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#20314 03/03/01 11:34 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Shoshannah--

May God in His infinite wisdom keep you safe.

#20315 03/03/01 11:45 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>I can escape into this board and even relax a bit!

It is fascinating that a conversation with strangers can have an impact on our everyday lives in the crazy, sad worlds that we sometimes inhabit. AnnaStrophic mentioned in the early days something about "Strangers in Paradise", I'm glad that our petty jibes, puns (even Ted's) and tortuous attempts to unravel the world of language provide a welcome distraction. It is almost the least that we could do!

#20316 03/04/01 12:32 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Shoshannah,
[nod-to-Jackie-and-Jo] I think what you posted just now would be apt for the Happy Birthday thread on March 15.

Shalom.

P.S. "Southern Hebrew" = Sfardi?

#20317 03/04/01 09:20 AM
In reply to:

Jackie
May God in His infinite wisdom keep you safe.

Jackie - thanks. HE does - Baruch HaShem (Blessings on The Name).

In reply to:

AnnaStrophic
"Southern Hebrew" = Sfardi?

AnnaStropic - that was an interesting guess - actually, I'm originally from North Carolina (sometimes pronounced Nawth Care-liiiiiiiina), so when I speak Hebrew, I obviously don't sound like I'm from Israel - thus, I usually follow up whatever I say with the comment that I speak "southern Hebrew" (btw - I say the same about the two words of Russian I know).

Keep those cards and letters a'comin' - did y'all hear yet that we had another bomb attack this morning - in Netanya (north of Tel Aviv on the coast) - one guy, tried to get on a city bus, was denied, blew himself up - two Israelis died at the scene, one more (so far) on the operating table - one more in critical condition in hospital and about 55+ wounded. AND LIFE (such as it is) GOES ON...

So - you can see why I NEED this board! Thanks to you all for your ongoing WORDS!

Shoshannah

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#20318 03/04/01 09:25 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Here's what was happening in the real, crazy, sad world as we were ruminating in the virtual one:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1201000/1201273.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_1201000/1201213.stm

#20319 03/04/01 11:14 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
While not trying to laugh at the bombing in London or the fact that people were hurt, the article that jmh's link brought up made me smile. For absolute meaningless quotes in reporting, it has to be a masterpiece of stating the obvious. Consider this:

Mr Fry said: "We have been predicting, since Christmas, that the mainland, and London in particular, were to be subject to terrorist attacks. This was one of those attacks."

No it wasn't, it was an attack in downtown Dublin ...

and

The BBC's Laurie Margolis was on the roof of Television Centre and saw the explosion go off.

He said: "There was an explosion and a huge bang."

Mr Margolis is clearly an acute observer of events. The reporter who jotted that down and included it in the story also has a keen eye for detail. I'm so surprised that a bomb caused an explosion when it went off and that there was a large bang associated with it. I thought the IRA had mastered those new-fangled silent bombs. Someone ought to clue them in, I think. Or get them to write stories for the BBC, anyway; they couldn't do any worse.

And finally, this gem:

Police said they were keeping an open mind about those responsible.

Are they really? I would have thought that those responsible might be guilty of something if they were responsible. Or has the Met just become totally ambivalent about arresting (or not) those responsible for terrorist attacks in London?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#20320 03/04/01 02:48 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear CK: since a quibble equals one post, the reporter who saw an explosion and heard a big bang was reporting accurately. There are two parts to an explosion, the visual part and the auditory part. Perhaps he should have said he saw an explosion followed by a big bang. He might have felt the shock wave. What do you say, wow?

#20321 03/04/01 03:48 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
There are two parts to an explosion, the visual part and the auditory part. Perhaps he should have said he saw an explosion followed by a big bang. He might have felt the shock wave. What do you say, wow?

I'd say that if anyone on this board should know, it's you ... a veteran of WWII in the Pacific.
And just in case nobody's mentioned it lately : Thank you for giving up part of your life protecting "our lives, our liberty and our sacred honor."
wow

#20322 03/04/01 05:50 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear wow: belMarduk was kind enough to check me on a quote from DeLaRochefoucald: The refusal of praise is merely the desire to be praised twice. But I was just a lab technician hunting for parasite ova in a million stools, and then struggling to get acceptable pathology slides against the handicap of temperate zone paraffin in a tropical climate. The only explosion I saw was from ten miles away, when a shipload of oxygen and acetylene tanks blew up in the harbor. It was spectacular seeing tanks almost as big as a man flying through the air like rockets, propelled by the compressed gas. No hero I.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 804 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith