Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
old hand
old hand
Yes, quite true. I was thinking along another tangent which is'nt quite relevant now. More to do with punctuation, where and when to use certain elements.
For instance: as a speaker of Maori we never used to write a glottal stop, we just new there was one there. But for new learners.... ya gotta put em in.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There's where we part company

Not bad parting company as long as we have a conversation.

For me a grammar is a sort of abstract device for parsing and generating acceptable sentences in a given language.

I think this is how I understand grammar too.

There is a difference between breaking a rule for an obvious purpose or breaking a rule because you never exactly knew what the rule was.

I meant when someone writes well, thus handling this device for parsing and generating acceptable sentences in a given language well, he/she may want to take "liberties" for expressive or aesthetic or whatever reasons which I called "obvious purpose" (which apperently wasn't very clear and obvious).
To a good reader these free movements in writing are obvious, I mean logic, natural and enjoyable.

With breaking a rule because you never exactly knew what the rule was I meant: in many publications, newspapers, magazines, critics and articles I notice that they are more and more written by people who never learned to properly use this sort of abstract device for parsing and generating acceptable sentences in a given language. So they (sentences) are not acceptable but is seems to be such a general phenomenen.

Question: do you still think it is important that children learn grammar well. We are not born with this understanding.
We really have to learn it. All of us. ( olly :~) )

G
G
Originally Posted By: BranShea

For me a grammar is a sort of abstract device for parsing and generating acceptable sentences in a given language.

I think this is how I understand grammar too.

With breaking a rule because you never exactly knew what the rule was I meant: in many publications, newspapers, magazines, critics and articles I notice that they are more and more written by people who never learned to properly use this sort of abstract device for parsing and generating acceptable sentences in a given language. So they (sentences) are not acceptable but is seems to be such a general phenomenen.

If I may, I think that your understanding grammar does differ a great deal from how zmj and I understand it. For me, this abstract device for parsing and generating acceptable sentences is acquired by children, almost automatically and largely unconsciously. By the time children learn to read, they already have a mastery of most of the grammar of their language. So when you say that there are adults who don't understand how to use this abstract device for parsing and generating acceptable sentences, in other words they don't know the grammar of their native language, I'm very skeptical.

A real example might help.

Last edited by goofy; 10/21/11 12:16 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'd like a definition of "conversation".

----please, draw me a sheep----
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
A real example He gots no (whatever)?

G
G
Originally Posted By: Jackie
A real example He gots no (whatever)?

I don't know the history of gots. My sense is that it's used very informally and often jokingly. Is that really an example of the sort of thing Nunberg is talking about?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A real example might help.

Yes, possibly my understanding of grammar may differ from your's and Zm's. (I doubt it) It's a.o. about things like inconsistancy in using plural and singular forms in one sentence.
Or mixing up articles and personal pronouns incoherently.

Yes, children master a great deal of their grammar before they enter school(most of them), but then why teach them if it weren't to give them the real understanding of the why, such and so... and why do children find it so hard? Many children consider Dutch grammer as more difficult than English grammar.
Maybe you English are just lucky. But it can't be a local thing. In many countries people complain about today's language education.

Universities here complain that a too large part of newly entering students is no longer able to write correct Dutch; to a point where they have introduced an obligatory test and special courses to try solve this problem.

**Ha! example!!! Universities here complain that a too large part of newly entering students is no longer able to write correct Dutch.= correct

Universities here complain that a too large part of newly entering students are no longer able to write correct Dutch. = incorrect

(its a very simple example but this is what I mean)

I know this is not what Nunberg means directly but bad writing becomes worse when the knowledge of basics gets lost.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, children master a great deal of their grammar before they enter school (most of them), but then why teach them if it weren't to give them the real understanding of the why, such and so... and why do children find it so hard?

Because those children speak a kind of Dutch (a dialect or sociolect) that differs in its grammar from the Standard Dutch preferred in certain jobs and situations. They speak this way, because they acquired the grammar of the dialect spoken at home and in their neighborhood. If you really want them to speak proper ("correct") Dutch, you should remove them from this improper environment and put them in one where only proper Dutch is spoken. Then they will acquire proper Dutch without any need for teaching them anything.

Many children and adults make all sorts of errors (both according to the grammars of their learned dialect and of proper Dutch because they mix them up and/or have not really learned how to code-switch between the different languages they know.

**Ha! example!!! Universities here complain that a too large part of newly entering students is no longer able to write correct Dutch.= correct

Universities here complain that a too large part of newly entering students are no longer able to write correct Dutch. = incorrect.

Yes, I would call this a grammatical error. You see this sort of thing all the time. I am not sure that it is generated by the writer's faulty grammar or by some other problem. It's kind of a clunky sentence, too. I'd've rewritten it as:

Universities here complain that many newly entering students cannot write correct Dutch.

It's the sort of error that probably cannot be corrected by teaching writers some grammatical rule of subject-verb concord (which I would argue all have in their grammar), but to teach them how to edit their own writing or another person's. And you teach them that in high school, although, more and more, this sort of lesson is being pushed off to universities.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'd like a definition of "conversation".

How about A-H (link): "The spoken exchange of thoughts, opinions, and feelings; talk"? Of course, Bran was using it metaphorically, because our conversation is happening offline via forum software and not in real time as face-to-face conversations do. Hope that's helps.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
G
G
Originally Posted By: BranShea

Universities here complain that a too large part of newly entering students are no longer able to write correct Dutch. = incorrect

If the first sentence is correct, then why does the second sentence sound better to me?

I think the answer is because the English I speak differs from Standard English in this respect. In Standard English, the verb agrees with the subject. In my English, if there is a lot of material between the subject and the verb, the verb sometimes agrees with the closest noun. This is called the principle of proximity. Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage says
Quote:
Proximity agreement may pass in speech and other forms of unplanned discourse; in print it will be considered an error.

But this does not mean that I don't know the grammar of my native language. It means that I have to learn the grammar of another language, the grammar of Standard English. The same thing goes for those Dutch children who have to learn Standard Dutch.

Last edited by goofy; 10/21/11 02:04 PM.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 519 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith