Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#20255 02/27/01 10:35 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
What does it mean when a person is discribed as a "real cracker jack"? I heard this a long time ago.

#20256 02/27/01 11:37 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
There was a popular confection by that name consisting of molasses candy coated popcorn, in a cardboard carton the size of a one pound sugar box. And every box had a small metal casting of animals,etc.,as a prize which made it extra popular with little kids, who used to collect and trade them.

#20257 02/27/01 11:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ohmygosh, bill, i can't believe you remembered that. i never would've recalled those delightful little metal tigers and such had you not posted. Cracker Jacks are still around, but nowadays all you get is some crummy little lick-your-hand-and-stick-it-on tattoo.

can anyone remember any other prizes? i remember them being in a package similar to a bandaid... and have a vague recollection of little brightly-colored jointed plastic animals, kind of two-dimensional.

did they ever give out jacks... as in the X X X o X X X game?

#20258 02/28/01 01:32 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Faldage points out: The Atlanta minor league baseball team (before the Braves moved in) was known as the Crackers. The Negro Leagues team was the Black Crackers.

Beat me to it.... "Black Crackers" being a particularly ironic name (if remembered etymology serves)

#20259 02/28/01 04:38 AM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
What does it mean when a person is discribed as a "real cracker jack"? I heard this a long time ago.

As I've come across it, it means the person does surprising things. Nutty, crazy... in a kind of tolerated /amusing sort of way. "A real character".

HTH

Ali

#20260 02/28/01 04:43 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Crackers are festively decorated paper tubes with a twist in the paper about a quarter of the way from each end. There are also two long thin card bands going down the middle joined with some sort of explosive substance at the midpoint so that it makes a bang when you pull them apart; two people do this by each holding on to one of the ends of the paper tube and pulling. The large middle section also contains a paper party hat, a small toy, and an execrable joke or riddle (the worse the better). They're most often used at Christmas dinners or lunches.

Bingley

Bingley
#20261 02/28/01 08:46 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
I once saw these crackers (also popular in Australia), through the shop window of Harrods, London, for around 80 quid a pop! Imagine if that didn't make a bang!

#20262 02/28/01 09:22 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Mr Bingley's description was "perfick". It's a bit out of season but here is some more information:

Christmas Crackers

The Christmas cracker was invented in 1847 by Tom Smith, a baker of wedding cakes from Clerkenwell, London.

On a trip to Paris in 1840 Smith discovered the "bon-bon," a sugared almond wrapped in a twist of paper. Back in London, his "new" sweets became quite popular. When he noticed that young men were buying them for their sweethearts he began to place love mottoes on small slips of paper inside the wrapping. In 1846, standing at his fireplace, the crackle of a log gave him the flash of inspiration for the cracker. After much experimentation (and burning hands and furniture), he got it right. He pasted small strips of saltpetre to two strips of thin card. As the cards were pulled away from each other, the friction created a crack and a spark. (The concept is still used today.) By 1947, Tom Smith's cracking sweets were the fashion. They were first known as "Cosaques" after the cracking of the Cossack's whips as they rode through Paris during the Franco-Prussian wars. The name stuck for about another decade before simply being known as Christmas crackers.

The cracker concept was hot and others were quick to copy Smith's idea. The outer wrapper became the showcase in the fight for market share, with more varied and colourful designs. They were also being sold 12, sometimes 6, in a matching box. It forced Smith to head for the patent office to protect his design, and his company, called the Tom Smith Crackers.

By the 1880s, Smith's company produced more than a hundred cracker designs. By 1900, Smith sold more than 13 million crackers. They were being used not just at Christmas, but at just about any festive occasion, including fairs and coronations.

In 1933, printed foil wrappers with individual designs were launched. The contents became more complicated, some featuring glass pendants, brooches, bracelets and other jewellery.

from http://www.didyouknow.com/xmas/xmascrackers.htm

Here's how to make one:
http://www.imagitek.com/xmas/crafts/cracker.html
This site:
http://www.absolutelycrackers.com
includes the following gem:
A CHRISTMAS cracker-maker has had to hire a joke checker - because Americans don't get our gags.
The new recruit has to weed out "peculiarly English" jokes after complaints from U.S. distributors.
Gags they didn't get include:
Q: What mint can't you eat? A: The Royal Mint.
Q: Where do policemen live? A: Letsbe Avenue.
Q: Which panto is set in a chemist's shop? A: Puss in Boots.
Boss Keith Langford, 30, of Absolutely Crackers in Milton Keynes, Bucks, said: "We don't want to upset the Americans. We do a lot of business with them."
Published in The Sun (UK)
10 December 1998

#20263 02/28/01 02:01 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Sign me up as one the Americans who doesn't get those jokes. Could we have some explanations, please?

#20264 02/28/01 02:15 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Sign me up as one the Americans who doesn't get those jokes. Could we have some explanations, please?

I think I get the Royal Mint joke, when you take this definition of Mint: 1.A place where the coins of a country are manufactured by --- or: 3.An abundant amount, especially of money.

But as for the others... I can't even pretend to have a clue. I want the answers too!

Ali

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 783 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith