Print Thread
#202341 09/08/11 06:31 PM
M
mmcgown Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
I'm sure I remember the phrase bada-bing, bada-boom from longer ago than 1965. In my head, I associate it with Jackie Gleason. After a bit of a search, I turned up this page: [http://www.mentalfloss.com/trivia/facts/archives/1637]

Quote:
Pat Cooper (born Pasquale Caputo) is a Brooklyn-born comedian who based many of his routines on his Italian-American upbringing. He was known for his rapid-fire, rat-a-tat delivery, along with his penchant for peppering his routine with many Italian-influenced Brooklynisms, such as “fuhgeddaboudit” (forget about it), “whattamigonnado” and “Bam, bam, bam,” all accompanied by eloquent gestures. In 1958, he premiered a routine entitled “The Italian Wedding” during which he used the phrase “bada-boom, bada-bing” in between descriptions of relatives who were scarfing down piles of capicolla sandwiches. An agent caught his act and booked him on The Jackie Gleason Show.

Beyond this, Cooper was on Jackie Gleason many times as far back as 1953, and while I have no proof, I think Cooper and Gleason were both using the phrase even before 1958.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
hi m,
you should use the Feedback link for this, as Anu may not see or acknowledge it here.

M
mmcgown Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Thank you. Newbies typically make these errors and I'm definitely new! I hope I manage to get this in the right place!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>the right place

it's debatable; there's a Feedback link on the bottom of this page, there's a Feedback link on the Today's Word page, and there's a Contact Us link on this page too. probly one link is both the same, but I've had good results in the past with the Contact Us link.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: mmcgown
Thank you. Newbies typically make these errors and I'm definitely new! I hope I manage to get this in the right place!

Right or wrong, whatever.
WELCOME MMCGOWN

----please, draw me a sheep----
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
>the right place

it's debatable; there's a Feedback link on the bottom of this page, there's a Feedback link on the Today's Word page, and there's a Contact Us link on this page too. probly one link is both the same, but I've had good results in the past with the Contact Us link.

But of course, MMCGOWN don't let that stop you posting here.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith