Wordsmith.org: the magic of words

Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#201972 08/21/11 05:16 PM
OP Offline
First of all, hello everyone, I know it has been some time.

Anyway, the reason I am posting is that I am attempting to understand the word Madam. I was taught, even when attending University and gaining my English Lit. Degree, that the definition and accepted terminology for such was, "a kept woman" or "a woman who runs a brothel/cat house".

Today, now that I currently reside within the "South", I have been informed of an alternate definition. That of, a term of respect. After having to stamp down my ire and indignation, and an interesting argument debate, I made the difficult decision to employ the ever ready and all powerful, internet; where upon I mashed in the word and Merriam Webster Dictionary spewed the following catenated mess at me:

Quote:
plural mes·dames : lady —used without a name as a form of respectful or polite address to a woman
: mistress 1 —used as a title formerly with the given name but now with the surname or especially with a designation of rank or office
: the female head of a house of prostitution
: the female head of a household : wife

I am so confused! Where and how or why did this word evolve to have a dual meaning of both a woman of respect and a woman of social faux pas???

And I shall refrain from mentioning that of Mistress for now.

Rev. Alimae
G
G
Its earliest use:

Originally Posted By: "the OED"

1 a. A form of respectful or polite address (substituted for the name) originally used by servants in speaking to their mistress, and by people generally in speaking to a woman of high rank; subsequently used with progressively extended application, and now, though no longer as frequently as in previous centuries, employed in addressing a woman of whatever rank or position; the female counterpart of sir

Later on it came to have "various derisive or opprobrious uses" like "An affected fine lady" and "A female brothel-keeper".

As for "why", well that's semantic change for you.

Last edited by goofy; 08/21/11 08:41 PM.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Madam or Ma'am and Sir is becoming more popular way of addressing someone we don't know....to be respectful....if their name is not known.

I had learned that Mistress and Master were for young or unmarried people and Madam (Ma'am) and Mister for older or married people. Esquire after the man's name to indicate a property owner (old, now) or a law degree.
I think there are many regional uses of these terms that have changed over the years.
I still remember when we moved to the South and my mom called someone to ask about buying a crib. The lady she spoke to was horrified, as a crib is a whorehouse. She should have asked for a 'baby bed'. *lol*

~===,===,=^=<
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I visited a small outstate town once and with the friend
with whom I was eating at this small cafe, ordered
"taverns". I figured he knew what he was eating and I could
not go too far wrong. Turned out to be hamburger and
tomato sauce on a bun, what I'd call a "sloppy Joe". The
waitress asked us, when we had finished, if we wanted
"bars". I had not a clue. Turned out to be brownie-like
cake. So there are many different regional differences.
And these were less than 150 miles from my home and in the
same state.

----please, draw me a sheep----
OP Offline
I truly appreciate all that has been said, and yes, I guess it is pure topographical semantics. *shrugs* I guess it just goes to show that one should always try and keep an open mind and learn what an individuals "meaning" is prior to making a conclusion as to the reference being made.

Rev. Alimae
and here in the Northwest you can go into a bar and order a 'schooner', which to me is a ship. It's also a large pitcher of beer!

~===,===,=^=<
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
And in NZ, VV a crib might be a batch or a holiday house by the sea. Funny isn't it!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Here a "crib" can be a place to store grain, like corn, as
in "corn crib".

----please, draw me a sheep----
E
stranger
stranger
E
In England, I used to crib (plagiarise) my mate's homework, and would make a crib-sheet (a tiny aide-memoire) to smuggle into an exam.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith