Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Let me see if this is another example:
A piece of a saint's (?Francis?) cloak was kept in a small room off the main sanctuary of the church. The room took on the name capella from the Latin for cloak and was Anglicized to chapel. Now a is a small space for worship is often called a chapel. The word is not an eponym because it is not named after a person but a piece of clothing - a thing.

I am not sure there is a term for such words.

St. Martin, that's the owner of the cloak. Well, was the owner.

Last edited by Zed; 06/08/11 04:37 AM.
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Sigh. Amazing how difficult something simple can be! I thank all for guesses, but this really is an 'on the bus, off the bus' question.

Thanks for Trojan Asteroids, but no: I KNOW a Centaur is the term for an asteroid/comet (just as I KNOW a human/horse hybrid is a centaur), the question is: when they chose the name for the class or group of items or what-have-you which the latter term centaur represents in homage to the former class of objects, what is the RHETORICAL TERM for engaging in such an homage?

The etymology of chapel is closer, but I'd still believe that the origin of that word as a general term from one specific example and ... something else-y is NOT a parallel. But again: thank you for playing and I hope someone knows the actual answer! Argghhh!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
here's a list of figures of substitution; enjoy.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Considering your list doesn't have eponym on it I would suggest that it's a little off target.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Online etymology

eponym:
"one whose name becomes that of a place, a people, an era, an institution, etc., 1846, from Gk. eponymos "given as a name, giving one's name to something," from epi “upon” (see epi-) + onyma, Aeolic dial. variant of onoma "name" (see name)."

When you look at the meaning of the word "eponym" : litt.
"upon" and "name"
the word does not make a specific difference between the name of a person and the name of a thing; so a thing named after a thing simply stays an eponym (to me).

centaur + centaur = eponym + eponym

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When you look at the meaning of the word "eponym"

That's what I was on about up above in my post. In Greek, eponumos could be somebody or something after which something was named. But ...

As for the list of rhetorical devices ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, well, there 's a lot of reading to do on this thread. I'm already very glad I understood a little of what was going on.

[ Zed! I like your capella - chapel. ]

P.S. ( I don't know what the figure of speech 'an on the bus-off the bus question' means )

The term googolplex was derived from the comic strip "Barney Google". Later on, the website "Google" was named with the word "googolplex" in mind. Now, to search for something on the Internet is sometimes called "googling". So "googling" is kind of like a 3 layer eponym. Right?

Last edited by obihave; 06/08/11 08:08 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>The term googolplex was derived from the comic strip "Barney Google"

maybe, maybe not - the term 'googol' was invented by a child (Dr Kasner's nine-year-old nephew) who was asked to think up a name for a very big number, namely, 1 with a hundred zeros after it. there is speculation that the boy may have been influenced by Barney, but.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the term 'googol' was invented by a child

And a googolplex is 10^googol.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith