Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I cannot believe--but I do--what Hubby just came in and told me. He'd been out on his motorcycle, and I told him I'd made blueberry muffins and the strawberry bread (of which neither loaf came out of its pan intact) this afternoon, and happily informed him that we have a ton of sugared, crushed strawberries all ready for shortcakes any time we want them. I went on to say that I had used the little bag of sugar he'd brought back from camping, since I had used all of our other sugar already. He got a look of horror on his face, and with good reason: that little bag had not contained sugar, but kosher salt, which he had used to clean the iron skillets! So I'll be putting a whole lot of strawberries down the disposal here shortly. He said they taste every bit as nasty as you'd expect. shocked I'm not trying 'em! At least I fixed the ones for the bread separately.

Just thought y'all might appreciate being given a smile...

old hand
old hand
Life is so bittersweet Jackie laugh

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hey! At least they're kosher.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
strawberries

I got some strawbs the other day. I washed, cored, and then quartered them, and then put some sugar on them and some dry red wine. Left them over night in the fridge in a covered casserole dish. They were just as good as grandma used to make. No need to spoil them with spongecake or the like.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
.....and I watched Jamie Oliver throw together fresh berries for desert, last night (on TV)and he suggested pouring Elderberry Cordial over the fruit to enhance the flavour. I don't know if its available here, But I'm going to find out. (Says its better than sugar).

Jackie...how is 'kosher salt' different from usual salt?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Candy
.....and I watched Jamie Oliver throw together fresh berries for desert, last night (on TV)and he suggested pouring Elderberry Cordial over the fruit to enhance the flavour. I don't know if its available here, But I'm going to find out. (Says its better than sugar).

Jackie...how is 'kosher salt' different from usual salt?

Here you go: Kosher Salt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_salt

or
http://www.google.com/search?q=kosher+sa...=2&ved=0CFIQsAQ

----please, draw me a sheep----
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I have heard of pepper on strawberries but not salt! All that work! Poor Jackie.

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
and some dry red wine. I know the word for that! You macerated 'em! (Yay, something about words!)

Yeah, Zed, that was a lot of strawberries--prolly about three pounds-- down the drain; one of those situations that just seem to come up every so often, of one person not dreaming what another might do/say or have done/said/meant. Ah well--lesson learned!

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
And the moral is always snack taste as you cook.

Last edited by Zed; 05/24/11 06:28 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Or never use sugar as a sweetener. ( still take care to not confuse maple syrup with motor oil );-)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith