Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#199458 04/28/11 02:59 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
My favorite television cook used the word cupboard today, and that got me thinking about a couple of things:

1.) is there a difference between a cupboard and a cabinet;

2.) she pronounced it cubberd, as I guess most people do, which reminded me of clapboard which is pronouced here as clabberd (not to be confused with clabbered, as with milk);

3.) how did board come into both of these uses? I presume cupboard originated from being near the board, or table, but I don't really know this, let alone the clapboard connection (if there is one).

Jackie #199459 04/28/11 07:29 AM
old hand
old hand
1) I think that cupboard and cabinet are nearly interchangeable, certainly in kitchen use; Otherwise, a cabinet might tend to be a bit fancier, perhaps more for display purposes than simple storage.

2) The pronunciations I use are cubberd and clabberd, although CLAP-board is not unknown. I've never heard CUP-board except humorously.

3) I believe that the board in cupboard is a shelf on which cups are set or stored; clapboard is overlapping wooden siding for a building, so, again, it's literally a board.

Peter

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I use cabinet, seldom cupboard, except when trying to be very
specific about something to someone.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Jackie #199467 04/28/11 04:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I hadn't considered this before now, but I seem to use cupboard for the shelving in our pantry, which look very much like our kitchen cabinets.

Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
clapboard is overlapping wooden siding for a building, so, again, it's literally a board. Hey--so named, perhaps, because you grab each board and clap it up against the house?

Jackie #199477 04/29/11 09:12 AM
old hand
old hand
Merriam-Webster:
Partial translation of Dutch klaphout : klappen, to split, crack + Middle Dutch holt, board

Oxford Dictionaries:
early 16th century (denoting a piece of oak used for barrel staves or wainscot): partial translation of Low German klappholt 'barrel stave', from klappen 'to crack' + holt 'wood'

But yeah, Jackie, I think you're right.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Asking some people here whom I know, they seem to see a
cupboard as a free-standing piece of furniture with doors,
either wooden or glass. A cabinet seems to be used for an enclosed
place for dishes and the like, attached to a wall. This is just
the opinions I've found in this part of the world.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Hmmm. These words are used differently here in Québec, L.J.

A cabinet is either;

1) a free-standing movable piece of furniture with drawers or compartments used for storage of household things - usually things important to you.
2) as you mention, storage compartments attached to the wall in the kitchen for placing dishes.
3) a doctor or lawyer's office
4) the group of ministers in the parliament.
(in French it is also used to mean the toilet room)

And a cupboard is always a storage space with a door, the size of a closet with shelves to store kitchen stuff (non-perishable foods, pots and pans, etc.) I've never seen cups in a cupboard. Those are always in the cabinets.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I pretty much see the same as you.

old hand
old hand
Interesting. I have just realized that if I am talking about the installed structures, whether they be on a wall or under a counter, they are cabinets, but if I refer to them as storage spaces they are cupboards. My kitchen has brown cabinets, but the dishes are in the cupboard over the microwave. Otherwise, a cabinet is a free-standing piece of furniture with doors. It may have drawers as well, but if it has only drawers it's not a cabinet. A closet-like small room is always a closet, unless it's it's a pantry, which need not be small. I've never known such a room as a cupboard. I need to ask some friends about their usage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 435 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith