Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 41 of 126 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 125 126
addict
addict
haha...I won't attempt the limerick at the moment but I'll tell astory instead...when I was younger I once had an excellent riding teacher who used to make us ride without reins, or stirrups (in both jumping and flatwork) in order to teach us how important a good seat was and how you can steer with your body...this all went well until one week when a fellow rider was on a rather more energetic horse which launched itself over jumps and suddenly spun away to the right, normally unseating the rider, but because of the lack of reins or stirrups she simply grabbed hold of the pommel and ended up streched out face down along the horse's back and the horse was very confused that its trick hadn't worked...I can remember some of us laughing so hard that WE fell off...to this day I thank that teacher for making it much harder for me to ever fall off a horse because I don't totally rely on the reins or srirrups for balance and can easily do without...
(ps much longer than first anticipated! sorry!)

----The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No problem. I've never ridden a horse, but I get the jist.
Funny.

----please, draw me a sheep----
old hand
old hand
Ah, bexter, you've stirred some wonderful memories. When I was a young teen my grandmother paid for several years of riding lessons for me at the Cornell University polo arena. I recall the exercises that you describe. The instructor was a woman in her sixties, less than five feet tall, voice of a drill sergeant, uncompromising in the ring, but sweet and good-humored. There were about fifteen horses for students to ride and about ten polo ponies stabled there. What a treat to learn the personalities and quirks of all those horses. The polo ponies summered in a pasture within easy bicycling distance of my home. Though not allowed into the pasture, a friend and I would daily hang over the fence, coaxing our short-maned pals to relieve us of carrots, apples, and sugar cubes.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Really nice memories. Of all the Westerns on 50's and 60's
TV the horses I watch the most. Trigger, Buttermilk of the
Rogers' clan, Silver, Champion. All magnificent animals
and stars in their own rights.

old hand
old hand
But those horses were ridden with those enormous western saddles that engulf you (the kind that most people who have horses use where I am now), not a proper English saddle. And we must all aspire to use proper English!

addict
addict
Most definitely! English saddles are the way forward...I can remember going on a western and side-saddle evening and finding that the western saddles, although very comfy were not as easy to send signal through as English, and side saddles almost impossible to fall off of! I have a friend who events and she has a dressage saddle and a jumping saddle and they make all the difference when riding...one has a high back and one has high knee rolls, whoever invented them was a genius!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Tromboniator
But those horses were ridden with those enormous western saddles that engulf you (the kind that most people who have horses use where I am now), not a proper English saddle. And we must all aspire to use proper English!

Pardon me all to pieces. I had not idea you felt so
stongly about saddles. I will recoup my knowlege and
get back to you on that (yuk,yuk).

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: bexter
she has a dressage saddle and a jumping saddle and they make all the difference when riding...

But how are they for communication? Not much on grammar, I'll wager, but a vocabulary of some girth.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'm lost....what are the next two words?

addict
addict
Haha! nice one Trom

Candy I believe the next two words are

REHABILITATE + REINSURE

Page 41 of 126 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 125 126

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith