About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: elifit
In my native language (Polish) we call it "ucho" - ear, because it sort of has the shape of an ear smile

I even once said that in front of the class coz I didn't know it's called handle and my teacher said with smile that she gets the connotation smile

Ha, cool it's called ear in Dutch as well. Most logic thing as unless we deal with an extravagant posh design it always has the form of an ear. Handle? Is that seriously the English word for it? I never knew, in spite of the many cups of tea I had in England and U.S.

( I mean, I'm still astonished about all the cups of whatever I drank and no one ever said a word about the handle or ear. Such a familiar thing and the word never mentioned, jee......) What else can we do without smile .

Last edited by BranShea; 01/12/11 08:37 PM. Reason: amazed
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There is a proverb in English (and many other languages no doubt) that "little pitchers have big ears". Well--it is true that I seldom have anything of import posted. Can't blame you.

Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
ear

There is a proverb in English (and many other languages no doubt) that "little pitchers have big ears". Cup handle is what it's called. I recently dropped a cup and broke its handle. Calling it ear, you might be understood, but calling it handle there's no risk of being misunderstood.

Of course when you call it a handle, there's no risk of misunderstanding.. for an English native speaker. I think the difference is in the representation. In Polish (and Dutch apparently smile ) the word "ear" represents the shape, whereas in English handle represents the function.. as you use your hand to hold the cup. Hmm, I'm wondering how many such words with differences like this exist. I'll think about it and post it when I find some smile

And I found one..although both terms refer to a shape. In English we call it an eye of a needle, In Polish we call it an ear of a needle. smile

The difference is how you look at the needle, if you look at it horizontally, the loop resembles an eye. If you look vertically it resembles an ear.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
laugh Ha! I would like to have a look at a Polish needle. For needle we go with the English. Eye. (devided loyalties)

This one's for Jackie:

Originally Posted By: BranShea
laugh Ha! I would like to have a look at a Polish needle. For needle we go with the English. Eye. (devided loyalties)

Eye makes more sense since the shape is oval. By the way, how do you call knitting stitches in Dutch? In polish it's "oczko" [aw-tch-kaw] - small eye laugh and ladder (Am. runner) in tights is also small eye heheh

Funny how many different words are referred to as oczko: blackjack, stone in a ring, mesh in net

addict
addict
knit and pearl over here...(I think...my aunt knits, maybe I should ask her all of the stich names!)

----The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false----
Originally Posted By: bexter
knit and pearl over here...(I think...my aunt knits, maybe I should ask her all of the stich names!)

You can have different stitches but the loop you create with the knitting needles is called stitch - oczko smile

Isn't that knit and purl? I knit too wink

addict
addict
yup I never was good with knitting terminology...

----The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Knitting terminology....I was never good with knitting.
I can crochet, however.

We call them "stitches". But as one who cannot knit, who am
I to question?

Last edited by LukeJavan8; 01/13/11 04:15 PM.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith