R
rafal Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Dear All,

Let me be lazy and just copy-paste my letter to awad:

I was sitting in the pub with the two of my friends today and somehow we ended up discussing what is the English name for a tea/coffee cup/mug handle... Only one of us is a native English speaker (not me, I shall add) and he claimed it's simply a tea-cup handle... Having been subscribed to AWAD for the better part of the last decade I find it extremely difficult to believe there is no single word for that in English - and a more elegant one on top of that! We weren't, however, able to find one through a simple internet search.

Any chance you could shed some light on the matter?

Anyone? I'll be extremely grateful, because it's killing me not to know that wink

Cheers,
Rafal

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's called a handle. The important lesson here is that there need not be a single word for every little thing in English or in any other language. Is there a single word for it in your native language?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
WELCOME RAFAL ,handle and all.

----please, draw me a sheep----
addict
addict
you could always use the latin, manubrium, although it has already been taken by the medical profession - medical dictionary laugh

----The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
wink

In my native language (Polish) we call it "ucho" - ear, because it sort of has the shape of an ear smile

I even once said that in front of the class coz I didn't know it's called handle and my teacher said with smile that she gets the connotation smile

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
WELCOME, ELIFIT

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome aBoard, eli!

In my native language (Polish) we call it "ucho" - ear We have a rather old-fashioned saying: "little pitchers have big ears"; for the same reason, I'm sure.

R
rafal Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Thank you all. I'm a native Polish speaker as well - and indeed we don't have one name for a tea-cup handle. We call it, as elifit pointed out, a tea-cup ear (or just an ear).

I just thought, perhaps unfairly, that 'handle' is not the most elegant English word to use in this context. And also, since English has a loooong history of words borrowed from other languages, I almost expected there to be one even if not of English origin (there is one in Welsh!). So you're right, there's a lesson in it for me...

Best,
Rafal

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ear

There is a proverb in English (and many other languages no doubt) that "little pitchers have big ears". Cup handle is what it's called. I recently dropped a cup and broke its handle. Calling it ear, you might be understood, but calling it handle there's no risk of being misunderstood. The {y} in Polish (and some other Slavic languages that use the Latin alphabet, is a high central unrounded vowel (link). It is written in Cyrllic (for Russian anyway) as {ы}.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith