Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
stranger
stranger
I know I should have entered this in the pleonasm contest, but I am new here.
My least favorite pleonasm is do do, as in; .....and when they do do that.........
When is it ever necessary to use two do's, except for when speaking to or about pets? And then, why not just call it what it is?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

WELCOME, JAY

----please, draw me a sheep----
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted By: Jay Lyman

As you might of read..there were so many entries, anyway you still have posted it here.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Jay Lyman
My least favorite pleonasm is do do, as in; .....and when they do do that.........
When is it ever necessary to use two do's, except for when speaking to or about pets? And then, why not just call it what it is?

This structure is generally used when explicitly contrasting with someone's not doing something.

E.g.:

When they don't do their homework their grades in the class suffer, but when they do do their homework they generally learn more and get more benefit from the class.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
another good example:
"We thought ethically people would never do that, but now we know that they do do this."

old hand
old hand
Do what you do, do well, boy
Do what you do, do well
Give your love and all of your heart
And do what you do, do well

Ned Miller

addict
addict
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Nobody has said yet what exactly is wrong with redundancy. It seems useful to me. Sometimes its inflectional concord between words (which is a requirement of some languages and its absence would signal a grammatical error); sometimes it's for rhetorical effect (and we're all for that where and when appropriate); sometimes it's to avoid ambiguity (which seems a good thing, too); and sometimes it's something which annoys a select group of speakers (who usually seem wrong about other aspects of language, so I'd say it's something to do with them and not the language)..

What is wrong with it, besides lack of dignity, is that it escalates, driving the world closer to Fahrenheit 451 and 1984. Babblers so enamored of their own voices that they cannot be bothered to recall what acronyms mean perpetuate these things and even try to justify it with "all the other 'tards say it that way". One of the most intelligent characters in television was made to sound like a total dolt by saying "OCD disorder". And yes, at least one viewer noticed. It is time to declare Pleonasm Jihad!

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It is time to declare Pleonasm Jihad!

You need to take a stress pill, man. I appreciate the humor, but it is almost AWOL. The thing is, language changes, and nobody can stop it. Nobody spells radar, laser, or scuba as acronyms any more. And English is no worse the wear for it. Good luck on your jihad; maybe you'll learn something new on the trip ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Me, I don't care for pleonasms. I've always had a weak spot for the contradictio interminis. I like the irony and sometimes cynism that is attached to it.

addict
addict
What would holiday cheer be without Aramis the Intolerant’s Grinch counter to Fal the Coddler? Those de-volved acronyms (one really from RaDAR) are not so troublesome. But real acronyms mean what they mean, in any context. If SAM is not clear enough and additional wind is so gratifying, by all means one should utter “SURFACE-TO-AIR MISSILE”. Part of the tragedy is that some of those should never have been invented, particularly with a last letter denoting System, Program, Syndrome, Card, and most of all Number. The banking industry should have gone with PID. cool

ÅΓª╥┐↕§
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 399 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith