Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#195063 12/16/10 06:56 AM
H
OP Offline
H
the results are in for bokeh, and I have only a couple notes:
1) the votes were spread all around; beck, Jackie & Faldage each collected two(2) votes
2) Candy: you did get your own vote – well done!
3) I’d like to thank Bran for voting for my very weak effort.
4) I got a complaint from someone who expected to have two weeks(!) to enter. after all this time, someone got tripped up by a ‘sennight’ – and it was a veteran of the game! heh heh.

The person who sent me this word said he was familiar with the concept, but hadn’t known there was a word for it. I didn’t know that camera lenses were rated on their out-of-focus quality, but then I don’t know much about lenses.

here then is how the voting went down:

a) a spidery, wrought-iron storage device used by north African nomads to keep their cooking vessels off the ground when not in use [crafted by beck123] chosen by olly, Jackie

b) a form of massage based on the shiatsu style from Japan [Candy] Candy

c) repr. a vulgar pronunciation of bouquet /bəʊ 'keɪ/ [tsuwm] BranShea

d) a practice fight in which the warriors are allowed only to use bokken as a weapon against each other; originally from Japanese [bexter] Faldage

e) the handhold on a camel saddle [Jackie] Coffeebean, beck123

f) a dance found at weddings in the rural areas of Morocco [Luke] Avy

g) a Japanese term used to describe the out of focus quality of a lens [Nikonians Photo Glossary] bexter

h) a South African man or woman possessing or being accused of possessing malignant witchcraft [BranShea] wofa

i) a short knife used by Andaman Island pygmies to carve the embouchure and finger holes of the bamboo flutes they use in ceremonial music [Faldage] Buffalo, Luke

j) a studious pupil, generally at a religious Jewish day school [wofa]

k) a retired South African rugby player who has immigrated to Canada [olly]
___

thanx for playing hogwash®!

the hogmaster™
hogmaster #195064 12/16/10 07:23 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'm sorry guys BUT I really voted for D
I loved D as answer....by some glitch I must typed the wrong letter....lucky it was mine..my one I am taking the vote away from...didn't anyone think it was ambiguous?...me saying what I said..about wooden swords then voting something different shocked

Can you edit the results tsuwim, please.

Last edited by Candy; 12/16/10 07:25 AM. Reason: I had to check other thread to see
hogmaster #195067 12/16/10 12:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And, as if to shatter some expectations, one of the armils was the correct answer!

Candy #195071 12/16/10 12:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Quote:
3) I’d like to thank Bran for voting for my very weak effort.
Always happy to be reminded of the charming and challenging bulldozer Hyacinth Bouquet in "Keeping up Appearences". Hence me choosing this obviously fake one.
It may be Japanese, it still sounds Afrikaans to me. Bokje, Bokkie.
+ thanks for the round.

Candy #195074 12/16/10 01:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Candy
I'm sorry guys BUT I really voted for D
I loved D as answer....by some glitch I must typed the wrong letter....lucky it was mine..my one I am taking the vote away from...didn't anyone think it was ambiguous?...me saying what I said..about wooden swords then voting something different shocked

Can you edit the results tsuwim, please.

Candy, I'm going to quote from the Hogwash Rules here, which I haven't had the chance to do for some time: scoring, such as it is with points not mattering, is virtually at the whim of the moderator/hogmaster® [see latest round, e.g.]. whinging to the hogmaster, while encouraged, has been shown to be completely ineffectual.

the operative words here being points not mattering and whinging.. completely ineffectual. so, not wanting to set any bad precedents (or bad presidents either), and you having made your intents clear to one and all... the ruling on the field stands.

Originally Posted By: Candy
I turning Japanese too....I remember in the movie KILL BILL, the character played by Uma Thurman practising with a wooden sword, so I'm voting for.......B Actually replica swords from the movie became very popular.

(yes, it's quite obvious that I took you literally here, but not literally so. : )

hogmaster #195082 12/16/10 05:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Pygmies on the Andamans? Loved it: thaks Faldage. (Never
saw any in the Nat Geo films or books on the Andamans. Sort
of like Hobbits on the isle of Flores.)

----please, draw me a sheep----
old hand
old hand
My poor lonely ineffectual joke stands stands lost in translation. Good round and wow who'da thought you could describe out of focusness as opposed to focusedness.
Having been a camera operator for a good 20 years I had never encountered the term and had only referred to the depth of field component of an image and not the surrounding external field. Cool.

olly #195092 12/16/10 09:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah, olly your rugby player is enjoying his pension with the Canadians.

But how about the word itself?

Main Entry: bokeh
Part of Speech: n
Definition: a Japanese term for the subjective aesthetic quality of out-of-focus areas of a photographic image
Example: The bokeh, or quality of the blurred image in the photograph, was described and discussed

How come you good English speakers haven't found a decent English word for this part of speech? It is what in other visual arts is called 'rest form'? The counterparts in a composition? The left open spaces of a sculpture?

BranShea #195095 12/16/10 11:02 PM
old hand
old hand
Or the Negative space.

olly #195096 12/16/10 11:11 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, that's what I mean. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith