Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 49 of 59 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 58 59
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I found thing (both concealed and in plaintext), object, device, article, entity, matter. Then it got late and I got tired and gave up. Which is also the reason I never found a subtle way of inserting something about "pictures of red Eric Kunstler conducting" into my after-rehearsal babbling a few posts above, somewhere between the large organization and the small audience..

"Antarctica" ! Even better! Good thinking ! I'm impressed ! I s'pose if an onnicle is long enough, you can find just about anything in it. A little like the Infinite Number of Monkeys.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted By: wofahulicodoc

"Antarctica" ! Even better! Good thinking ! I'm impressed ! I s'pose if an onnicle is long enough, you can find just about anything in it. A little like the Infinite Number of Monkeys.

Thanks for not making fun of my attempt and making me smile, but I can see that your find is much better.

addict
addict
Originally Posted By: wofahulicodoc
I found thing (both concealed and in plaintext), object, device, article, entity, matter. Then it got late and I got tired and gave up.

Wow! You found most of them! only one left is
Click to reveal..
minisub stances
(ooh I like this new clicky thing!)
Well I wasn't anticipating that anyone would find anything in that rubbish, but obviously it wasn't too bad wink

----The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false----
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Quote:
…our annual Messiah performance goes up on Saturday, rehearsals all week...no time to spare. The sponsoring body is named Music Worcester, a relatively large organization, but I'm afraid it's going to produce a small audience this year.

You did right to continue on without me. (But if you search, and eliminate all the extraneous stuff, I did squeeze in a very primitive onnicle here.)

Quote:
...never found a subtle way of inserting something about "pictures of red Eric Kunstler conducting" into my after-rehearsal babbling a few posts above, somewhere between the large organization and the small audience…

So. Performance was last night. Well received, I would say; after three standing-O curtain calls the conductor did something I've not seen before in 36 years of performing Messiah: he called for an encore, and repeated the entire Hallelujah chorus, with audience sing-along. And they did. Here's a review of the concert in our local newspaper; please feel free to ignore it. It's written in "critic-speak" - for example, "brisk and energetic" means "too fast" but everybody seemed to like it anyway.

Then today we did selected choruses, at the Worcester Art Museum. Followed by a few carols. Smaller group, piano accompaniment, VERY different acoustics. Interesting contrast.

Now I get to breathe again. At least until January, when it's off to Haydn's The Creation for mid-March. In the meantime the oniclette above still stands.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ooh! I was just going to ask you how it went! Thank you! Great review! To what do you attribute this aspect?
never has the group sounded as polished and professional as it did Saturday.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sounds like a real great event and a super review. I love this time of year where live music is to be found in many places.

Last edited by BranShea; 12/07/10 08:50 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Me too!
Unfortunately you newspaper review will not come through,
the review of the event, wofa...

Last edited by LukeJavan8; 12/07/10 04:04 PM.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Well you have to read it Luke....such fine praise.
So I'm posting the whole thing.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Worcester Chorus gives rich rendition of 'Messiah'

By Joyce Tamer TELEGRAM & GAZETTE REVIEWER

WORCESTER — In April 1742, a music reviewer writing about a performance of Handel's "Messiah" for the Dublin Journal stated, “Words are wanting to express the exquisite Delight it afforded the admiring crowded Audience.” The same could be said of the performance of "Messiah" given by the Worcester Chorus under the auspices of Music Worcester Saturday evening in Mechanics Hall.

In the 13 years this reviewer has listened to performances by the Worcester Chorus, never has the group sounded as polished and professional as it did Saturday. The quality of sound through all the voice parts was rich and relaxed, with beautifully shaped vowel sounds and exquisite phrasing. In the polyphonic sections, each vocal part was well-delineated, creating a clear and transparent texture, and in the unison or homophonic parts of the work the chorus sang with a beautiful blend of voices.

Director Christopher Shepard set a brisk pace in the opening Sinfonia and maintained the energetic and buoyant character throughout. The chorus, too, retained its intensity and focus and responded to Shepard's conducting with sensitivity. The balance between the orchestra, soloists and chorus was excellent and it is a tribute to all the performers involved in Saturday's performance that a work so familiar sounded so fresh and interesting.

The small orchestra, assembled especially for this concert, accompanied capably for an ensemble that is not accustomed to playing together, though there were some problems with intonation in the violins.

Michelle Graveline performed admirably on both the harpsichord and organ, and Jonathan Clark's trumpet playing was outstanding, especially in the Air, “The trumpet shall sound ... ”

The choruses in "Messiah" are interspersed with many recitatives and arias and these were capably handled by the evening's soloists.

Gina Beck conveyed the wide range of emotions required throughout the oratorio. Her clear, bright soprano voice, filled with radiant joy, was especially touching in the three recitatives in Part One in which the angels appear to the shepherds. Krista River possesses a lovely mezzo-soprano voice which she uses to great effect. However, it seemed that the parts, which Handel wrote interchangeably for contralto or countertenor, were a little low for her range and required a heavier tone quality. The two male soloists were outstanding. Charles Blandy possesses a clear, focused, gorgeous tenor voice which he uses with keen intelligence and musicianship. His stunning rendition of the opening recitative, “Comfort ye ... " set the tone for the rest of the evening. Robert Honeysucker's rich bass voice and commanding presence in all of his arias and recitatives, but especially in the final Resurrection recitative and aria in Part Three, were riveting and revelatory.

The audience for this concert was one of the quietest and most attentive groups encountered at Mechanics Hall. They showed their appreciation with a lengthy standing ovation, which brought the soloists and Shepard back for several bows. Graciously responding to the prolonged applause, Shepard turned to the orchestra to signal an encore and invited the audience to join in if they knew the tune. And so we all lustily - and quite capably - sang a repeat of the Hallelujah chorus. It was a wonderful evening.

You have a right to feel very proud Wofa but I still say...pity you were not aloud to make/broadcast any recordings.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks Candy.
Truly magnificent words: fitting praise for what must
have been a truly awesome performance. Scored praise
in all areas. Thanks, again.

----please, draw me a sheep----
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Okay, only six days old. It's been moved off the page and out of sight, thanks to your kind comments, but I owe you one!

Quote:
…our annual Messiah performance goes up on Saturday, rehearsals all week...no time to spare. The sponsoring body is named Music Worcester, a relatively large organization, but I'm afraid it's going to produce
Quote:
...insert "pictures of red Eric Kunstler conducting" into my after-rehearsal babbling a few posts above, somewhere between the large organization and the small audience…
a small audience this year.

You did right to continue on without me. (But if you search, and eliminate all the extraneous stuff, I did squeeze in a very primitive onnicle here.)

It should be relatively easy to find. Never could figure out whether he was German or English. And apparently, neither could he. Maybe it should have been "not a very large or generous organization" instead of what's there.

Page 49 of 59 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 58 59

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith