Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#19446 02/28/01 01:51 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
could write a sensational resume after he graduated

But having written a novel, the poor schmuck is still known for his hilarious NYU paper

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Seian: Your mention of getting some credit for humor on an exam question reminds me of Bob Benchley, a well known humorist in the 30's. At Harvard he took a course that he thought would be a snap, but because he hardly cracked a book, he was totally at a loss when exam had a question about a controversial fishing treaty.
So his answer began: "Much has been said about the views of the fishermen involved. I propose to discuss it from the viewpoint of the fish........"

#19448 03/01/01 07:30 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
... which reminds me of the story ...

of the Professor who was irritated by a student who continued to write in his blue book after the Prof had announced the end of the exam period. The student finally finished what he was writing and took it to the front of the classroom, where the Prof had all the other blue books piled on the table. The Prof said that he would not accept the blue book because it had been turned in late. The student huffed, and asked, "Don't you know who I am?" The Prof replied, "I don't know and I don't care who you are." And the student quickly scattered the pile of blue books, inserted his into the mess, and ran out of the room.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

Bob Benchley, a well known humorist in the 30's. At Harvard he took a course that he thought would be a snap, but because he hardly cracked a book, he was totally at a loss when exam had a question about a controversial fishing treaty.
So his answer began: "Much has been said about the views of the fishermen involved. I propose to discuss it from the viewpoint of the fish........"

Wasn't Jaws written by somebody called Benchley?

Bingley

Bingley
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wasn't Jaws written by somebody called Benchley?
Peter.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Wasn't Jaws written by somebody called Benchley?
Peter.

So this thread is petering out too!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I can't resist bragging on my home town for this. In our
paper today, there is an article that is a follow-up to one that appeared last week, about a family with a terminally-ill father. They were asking for people to donate frequent-flyer miles, so they could take their 6-year-old to Disney
World for one last thing for her to remember about her Dad.
This article said to contact the Dream Foundation, which is based in California, 3 hours behind us in time zones.

Today's article said that, within two hours of their office opening the day that first article appeared, they had enough and more. The director said she's never seen anything like it, and that she just might move to Louisville.
http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2001/03/05/ky_drem.html

About three years ago, right after a terrible snowstorm,
word went out on the airwaves that a donor organ had become available for a four-year-old from here, but that the plane to fly her to it couldn't leave. People turned out in droves with their snow shovels, and cleared the runway, and that child and her tearful father were out of here. I've been told that got written up in one of the Chicken Soup books. I think I live in a pretty neat place.

#19453 03/06/01 03:02 PM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Jackie, the stories of Louisville brought a happy tug at my heartstrings.
I hope you are all ok out there!
For those outside the North East of USA, we got socked with a March BLIZARD yesterday and overnight ... it's 9 a.m. and still snowing.
About two feet to three of heavy, wet snow along the North East seacoast complicated by high winds (60 to 70 mph) overnight and full moon high tide this morning.
All coastal roads from Boston, Mass. to Portland Maine are closed or passable only by emergency equipment. Schools all closed. Mass universities on spring break. Many NH colleges closed.
The easterly winds blowing in the high tide waters over seawalls and once there the water's trapped. Sewers and catch basins will eventually take care of water but only in stops-and-starts as the water can't go anywhere when tides are coming in.
In some areas north of Boston they have removable sections of seawalls to compensate for storm surges but, all in all, it's a mess. Cape Cod is only area that escaped heavy snow.
In my yard I have a park bench -- the kind with wrought iron ends and wooden slat seat and back -- it is completely covered in snow even though it's sheltered by the garden shed. Trees and all branches all snowy from trunks to tips.
Only happy people are the teenagers who will make some major money shovelling people out!
My son came to plow a swipe in driveway (at about 5 a.m.) and the dear one also shovelled the path to my front door.
Poor pup Pearl couldn't get out to her fenced back yard as the snow had packed the doorstep and I can't get door open! So she peed on the shovelled path, giving me a bewildered look over her shoulder!
Some of our community conscious men are shovelling around the water hydrants just in case of fire emergency.
Well, I am in for today and probably tomorrow as well! All stocked up with food and beverages so I am cozy as we have heat and (obviously) electric ... so we're better of than some folk.
Finally, storm bad enough to cause the shut down of Seabrook Nucler Power Plant.That's a helluvalot of snow!
wow
P.S. It's now almost 11 a.m. -- no telephone for about an hour half. Still snowing!

#19454 03/06/01 06:19 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Wow, while a huge load of snow is a nuisance, at least you got what you expected. Here in Baltimore the prediction started at 2 feet of snow, later revised to 12 to 15 inches. All the supermarkets were sold out of bread, milk and toilet paper in short order (which always happens when there is a prediction of snow, no matter how little), and the hardware stores sold out of snow shovels. What actually happened was about a half inch of very wet snow on top of a half inch of slush -- we had rain for 24 hours and snow for about 2. As of this morning, it's all gone and the sun is shining.

While I am heartly giving thanks at being rescued from having to shovel snow (a perilous undertaking for an old geezer with a dicky heart), I am also greatly enjoying the discomfiture of all the TV weathermen who were unanimous in giving out with the information that this was going to be a major snow event and no mistake possible (they had to say that because they gave out with a similar false prediction earlier this winter.)

#19455 03/06/01 06:27 PM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
When it comes to predicting weather for the NH coast I pay attention to Al Kaprelian, weather forecaster for a small TV station ... Al gets it right when most of the network's hot shots are floundering. To keep track of what's what around here, http://www.wndsweather.com then click on forecast.
My congrats on missing the snow. Lucky dog!
wow

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 453 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith