About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

It's normal to write that a threshold has been exceeded. But it seems clumsy for some reason to describe how a minimum threshold is passed.

We could say that the threshold was exceeded, except that "exceeded" make it sound like you're describing coming from below and attaining the threshold value. Same with surpassed.

We could say that it is 'transcended', but that seems a little too pompous and I'm not sure it's any clearer.

We could say that it's 'passed', but that loses the sense of direction.

Instead I'm using the clumsier, "fell below the threshold."

Encroach? Breach? Nah.

Is there a more compact, less clumsy way of expressing this?

old hand
old hand
Outside the threshold?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I like "fell below". it's very clear, and offers opportunity for gradation: "plummeted below", "slid below", "dropped", etc.

or maybe that's what you're looking for?

formerly known as etaoin...
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
maybe

below par... as in not quiet there or not usual standard

below threshold
not meet threshold or less than configuration

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm a little unclear on just what you're after, FF. Can you give us an example?

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks for all the suggestions. To clarify, I'm looking for a verb to be used.

Let's say you have a threshold that is an upper limit. We can indicate with an economy of language that the threshold was passed AND that it was passed going in the direction that might offer some indication. "The threshold was exceeded." I *think* most people would infer that the threshold in this case is an upper threshold or an upper limit. So it's not just that this boundary condition was crossed, but the direction that was taken that I want to convey.

However, there are many cases when we have a lower threshold or a lower limit. If a measurement (say from a sensor) were to fall below that limit, it would be nice to say "the threshold was exceeded" or "the lower threshold was exceeded" - and I vaguely recall having seen that usage, although that could be a false memory. In any case, it's a little jarring to my ears.

As Buffalo noted, I could have said something like, "the measurement fell below the minimum threshold." It's a little wordy, but it's clear and it's also what I decided to use until I find something just as clear, but more concise. I would like to say "the threshold was X" (where X is a past tense verb).

It's not a huge deal, but if there is a better way of expressing it, I would like to know.

Last edited by TheFallibleFiend; 10/14/10 02:15 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't see any reason why you should have to use the word threshold. Maybe it would be easier if you just said "the lower limit" and figured a verb from there.

Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
In India, threshold has a special cultural significance. It is step at the door that separates the inside of the house from the outside. It has a symbolic meaning referring to the limits of a house. In the movie Umbartha (threshold) the woman of the house crosses her set limits and makes a life for herself outside the house despite being married to the man of the house. I guess because of this strong cultural reference threshold has always meant to me to be a limit to a horizontal space rather than a vertical space that can be quantified in terms of upper or lower.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just speaking literally, you go over a threshold. The only way you would go under a threshold would be in a game of extreme limbo.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just speaking literally, you go over a threshold. The only way you would go under a threshold would be in a game of extreme limbo.

In English, at least. In Latin limen, liminis, means 'threshold, the head-piece or foot-piece of a door, the lintel or the sill'. (Our word subliminal comes from it.) In Latin, it can also mean simply 'door' or 'house'. The post about Indian perceptions of threshold reminded me that in Latin a fanum is 'an area dedicated to a deity', such as a sanctuary or temple. Profanum means outside of this area. (Whence our profane.)

Getting back to the topic, there is a word supraliminal (link) meaning 'above the threshold of consciousness or sensation)'. Maybe you could adapt that ...

[Edited: OK, I've fixed myself some coffee, and realized I'm just rambling here. Above the threshold is not what was asked for. Just move along, nothing to glean here.]

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith